Thread: Preboot authentication failure attemp Ubuntu drops to shell

Beans

Preboot authentication failure attemp Ubuntu drops to shell

Hello everyone,

Just recently installed Ubuntu 13.04 (x64) on a new laptop (Acer s3). Basically, I bought this machine brand new, and installed Ubuntu over Windows 8 with the Live CD. I did not wipe the hard drive before the new install, I just mearly used Ubuntu's quick format method, and did not do any custom partitioning. I set up preboot authentication with LUKS (whole disk encryption) since it gave me the option to do so during installation. I also seperately encrypted the HOME directory.This morning, while half asleep, I had 3 consecutive preboot authentication failures attempts and I was dropped into a shell. Is this normal?

I did read a little about initramfs. This does not appear to be a big gaping security hole? However, I am concerned about the alert. (/dev/mapper/ubuntu--vg-root does not exist.) Also want to mention that when I reboot the system, as long as I don't fail preboot authentication 3 times, it will let me boot right into the system. normally. Below is the message (retyped) displayed by Ubuntu.

Gave up waiting or root device. Common Problems
    - Boot args (cat /prIoc/cmdline)
    - check rootdelay = '(did the system wait long enough?)
    -missing modules (cat /proc modules; is /dev)
    Alert! /dev/mapper/ubuntu--vg-root does not exist. Dropping to a shell

BusyBox v1.20.2 (Ubuntu 1:1.20.0 - 8ubuntu1)
    built in shell (ash)
    enter 'help' for a list of built in commands
    (initramfs)_

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

traxster

Beans

Re: Preboot authentication failure attemp Ubuntu drops to shell

The system drops to the busybox prompt only under a few circumstances. It means that the bootloader works, the kernel loads, and initramfs (the initial read-only) system loads. Then, the system unmounts the boot disk (which is read-only) and fails to remount it read-write.

The most common reasons for dropping to busybox are:
    Grub misconfiguration (not your problem - it would drop to busybox every time)
    Hardware misconfiguration (UEFI, for example - see http://askubuntu.com/questions/29376...cpu-and-memory)
    Hardware failure - flaky HDD controller, or motherboard issue.

Since it's intermittent on a new laptop, you might have a warranty hardware issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Traxster View Post
    I did read a little about initramfs. This does not appear to be a big gaping security hole?
    In what way? Your data is encrypted. Go ahead, try to decrypt it.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead View Post
    In what way? Your data is encrypted. Go ahead, try to decrypt it.
    I encrypted the entire hard drive during the installation process. I think it is 256-AES-CBC

Beans

Traxster, I suppouse Cheeseahead's question was rethorical
    You simply can't to decrypt your data without the key. If you lose it, you're in troubles
    LUKS is a great choice.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Traxster View Post
    I encrypted the entire hard drive during the installation process. I think it is 256-AES-CBC

I guess you were asking me in what way it is a security hole? is it possible for someone to get dumped to initramfs prompt, and say maybe load a program into it, that logs pw for luks? I can't imagine so, but check out this . scroll down to section 4.5. That is what got me worried.

traxster