Thread: Create image of existing Win8 and install it in a Virtualbox within Ubuntu

Beans

Create image of existing Win8 and install it in a Virtualbox within Ubuntu

Hey guys,

I have a PC with 4 Harddisks. 2 of them build a raid where my data is stored.
    On my SSD there is the Windows 8 System and on the 4th HDD there is Ubuntu installed.

I use my Windows 8 only for the Adobe products which don't run on Ubuntu, that's all.
    So I asked myself if I can just create an Image from my Windows 8 SSD and install it as host system in a virtualbox on Ubuntu.

Is that possible? And if yes, what are the steps I would have to make?

Regards,
    Michael
    Last edited by mlu17; July 15th, 2013 at 09:04 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Create image of existing Win8 and install it in a Virtualbox within Ubuntu

If you have install media, you can install Windows into VirtualBox. Otherwise it is very hard, because Windows considers the virtual machine to be another computer, and refuses to run because the licencing limitations. Windows is not portable is the same way as Ubuntu.

See this link (browse the whole thread to find the relevant posts) http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2119831

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

There isn't a way to start the already-existing Windows install in a Virtual Box?
    Learning the awesome Ubuntu OS!

Beans

I've read that there is a way to do that ... but it leads to a problem of activation/reactivation. The VM is treated as a different hardware setup than the actual Windows install. So, when you crank it up in the VM, you have to activate it. But, when you later crank it up in native mode, that is seen as different hardware -- and you have to reactivate. So, every time you switch back and forth, you have to reactivate. In short order, Windows will REFUSE to reactivate because you've done that too many times -- which then leaves you with the inability to run it anymore.
    Ubuntu 14.04, Mint 17; MS Win 8.1.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

In addition to this problem, it's also necessary to make major changes to the configuration of Windows, because the virtual hardware that will be used by the VM is drastically different from the actual hardware for which Windows is configured. This means possibly different video drivers, disk interfaces, and so on -- even though the physical hardware doesn't change at all.

Using the existing HD installation rather than a virtual disk is practical only for retrieving data -- and the "shared folders" feature in vbox makes it unnecessary for that.
    --
    Jim Kyle in Oklahoma, USA
    Linux Counter #259718
    Howto mark thread: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UnansweredPo.../SolvedThreads

Beans

Alright, thank you all for your answers.

I guess I will stick to the dual boot option then to avoid any problems

Regards,
    Michael