Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu on Netbook

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Ubuntu on Netbook

I have been requested by one of my friends to install Ubuntu on her netbook.
    I tried searching the forum for minimum recomended spec for Ubuntu or Xubuntu but unfortunately could not find out any detailed info.
    Does any one has any experience with this ? The spec of netbook is low (i will get to know the details tomorrow).
    But meanwhile i wish to prepare some bootable usb flash-drives for the installation (as there is no CD drive).
    Any suggession ?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Ubuntu on Netbook

depends on specs, but 1 GB and latest Atoms (but the ones with linux GPU driveres) or AMD E-300, 400 or higher is good should be ok for Ubuntu.

other options are of course Xubuntu, Lubuntu or KDE with netbook plasma interface.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans
    Distro

I might even think of going down to 12.04 (if it helps). In that case any idea how much RAM is needed for smooth running of Ubuntu 12.04 or Xubuntu 12.04 ?

Beans
    Distro

If it is one gig of RAM anf any Intel Atom then Ubuntu 13.04 will be just fine. Be aware 13.04 is only supported for another 7 months, so you would need to upgrade it then and again. Whereas 12.04 is good for nearly four more years due to it having long term support. You might prefer 12.04 for that reason.

Beans

I am currently using Ubuntu in my netbook with atom 1.6ghz with 1gb ram. I first tried default ubuntu 13.04. It worked, but quite slowly and heavily. I changed it to ubuntu minimal installation because I do not need fency gui. It works quite well now.

Beans
    Hidden!

See the first post in this link concerning what CPU horsepower, RAM size and Ubuntu version and flavour you might need: Old hardware

I think Xubuntu 12.04.2 LTS with end of life April 2015 is a good choice. If you are prepared to help upgrading to new versions, Lubuntu 13.04 might be the best choice. Another alternative is to install Ubuntu 12.04.2 LTS and tweak it according to this link: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Pr...eClassicTweaks

By the way, do you intend to make a dual boot install, or will it be *ubuntu only?

Beans

Here is a list of some Ubuntu-certified netbooks: http://www.ubuntu.com/certification/desktop/

If your netbook has comparable specs to the supported models, then you should be okay.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I think knowing the make & model of the graphics chip would be useful.
    Bitter personal experience tells me so

I'm running Lubuntu 13.04 32 bit on my netbook very happily at the moment.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

I agree with verymadpip. Some netbooks have trouble with their graphics cards playing nice with Ubuntu.

Can you provide the make and model and see if anyone has had a bad experience?

Beans
    Hidden!

On my netbook I have Xubuntu 13.04 installed. I couldn't install the later version of Ubuntu past 12.04 for 32-bit. Xubuntu/Lubuntu tend to be more lighter versions of Ubuntu, which the base distro doesn't really embrace because of Unity. Good luck!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast