Thread: Howto use more disk space for better movie streaming

Beans

Howto use more disk space for better movie streaming

I'm running ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty with Firefox 15.0 browser . If I try to stream a video, I get very short pieces of that video due to my limited RAM of 256 MB . Is there any way to use a part of the disk space as a cache, so that the video's would run more fluently ?
    Last edited by Hankbonk; July 11th, 2013 at 07:12 AM.

Beans

Re: Howto use more disk space for better movie streaming

Maybe SwapFaq

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by Hankbonk View Post
    I'm running ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty with Firefox 15.0 browser . If I try to stream a video, I get very short pieces of that video due to my limited RAM of 256 MB . Is there any way to use a part of the disk space as a cache, so that the video's would run more fluently ?
    You are using an outdated ubuntu release, it is an unsupported one, and you can find a lot of problems due to this fact.

I recommend you to install a supported ubuntu release, as you say you have little ram, you can use lubuntu flavour (12.04, 12.10, 13.04 are the supported ones), I think your system can work well with them.

Answering to your question, yes, you can use HDD space as ram. See this thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1285000 to know how to

Beans

Thanks Snowhog for your reply,

It is a really interesting site you pointed me to . I will examin it fully !

Beans

Also thanks for your reply, claracc .

Seems your answer turns out to point out in the same direction, being SwapFac . I will mark this thread as solved .