Thread: Vostro 3500 Trouble Booting.

Beans

Vostro 3500 Trouble Booting.

Well, I decided to install Ubuntu(ubuntu-12.04.2-desktop-i386.iso) on my Vostro(Windows7), I did it before on other laptops and it went fine, but not now. Well, what happens is when I choose to boot from the usb stick(Transcend 16GB) I just get a boot error with no explanation or anything of that sort. Just says "Boot Error" and I press enter to boot Windows.

I tried - LinuxLive USB creator.
    - Universal USB installer.

I've also tried partitioning the USB from fat32 to xte4 or something like that. Didn't do anything again.

Somebody also suggested that it's something with the BIOS settings and you need to switch 'USB Mass Storage Emulation Type' but that option simply isn't in the BIOS. I don't know what to do anymore, Google doesn't give anything more useful. Halp ):

Beans

Re: Vostro 3500 Trouble Booting.

I just installed Ubuntu on my OTHER laptop with the same USB key, so it's an issue with the Vostro.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

is the image good? what are the system specs?
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

why dont you write up that .iso to a dvd & try...check the BIOS set up once..
    also is there an unallocated partition in that vostro 3500? how many partitions are there in the vostro 3500?

As mentioned by mastablasta, please provide specifications of vostro 3500, since it is discontinued, dell is not providing detailed specifications on their website...
    the image should be good... he installed from the same image to another laptop...
    bhatta

May the Source be with you !
    Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulûk, agh
    'Buntu-ishi krimpatul !

Beans

I have a similar problem with a Vostro 460. With the Lexar USB indicated as #1 in the BIOS, it won't boot. No matter how I change the drive order in the BIOS, windows always boots from the internal HD. When I go back to the BIOS the internal HD is back to #1.
    There is an option to disable the internal HD. If I did that would I be able to get the HD back?
    Last edited by provo44; July 9th, 2013 at 01:54 PM.

Beans

I have a similar problem with a Vostro 460. With the Lexar USB indicated as #1 in the BIOS, it won't boot. No matter how I change the drive order in the BIOS, windows always boots from the internal HD. When I go back to the BIOS the internal HD is back to #1.
    There is an option to disable the internal HD. If I did that would I be able to get the HD back?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Guyz, check your BIOS for UEFI and stuff like 'secure boot', about that I cannot help...

Wait for a reply from someone who has clear understanding & can provide workarounds...

Also, please provide system specifications, they will always be useful & check the forums, there is a lot of similar posts, read them up... maybe an answer is already available...
    Last edited by su:bhatta; July 11th, 2013 at 06:20 AM. Reason: typ
    bhatta

May the Source be with you !
    Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulûk, agh
    'Buntu-ishi krimpatul !