Thread: disk assignment /dev/sd*

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

disk assignment /dev/sd*

Ive writttern a small sctipt automating a truecrypt process, however it relies on /dev/sda, /dev/sdb and /dev/sdc maintaining these assignments.

(what happens is a & b are small by todays standards and both are backed up to c. a is the system disk, b & c are truecrypt voluems)

Question: is their anything that would cause these asignments to change, and rhus cause my script to stop working?

Beans
    Distro

disk assignment /dev/sd*

Ive writttern a small sctipt automating a truecrypt process, however it relies on /dev/sda, /dev/sdb and /dev/sdc maintaining these assignments.

(what happens is a & b are small by todays standards and both are backed up to c. a is the system disk, b & c are truecrypt voluems)

Question: is their anything that would cause these asignments to change, and rhus cause my script to stop working?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: disk assignment /dev/sd*

yes, they could change if you install a new hard drive or change connections to ide/sata ports on your motherboard. I would suggest you use the hard drive UUID, those never change, EVER.

Beans
    Distro

Thank you, that is an excelant idea. I'll have a google lots to see hhow to implement this approach in to script.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Threads merged.
    Please do not create duplicate threads on same topic.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.