Thread: Linux and SSD

Beans
    Hidden!

Linux and SSD

If your thinking of installing an SSD in your laptop with Linux ,I can tell you that my comuter is MUCH faster with one. But I did have a few boot crashes at first and screen flickers but they fixed themselves and now its just fast. This post is just for people considering it. I put in a Samsumg Pro
    but any high quality one will work. Dont buy the budget ones. A little more money will get you a lot more speed.
    Xubuntu 13.04 Old Toshiba

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Linux and SSD

Thread moved to Ubuntu, Linux and OS Chat.

Not a support request.
    Cheesemill

Beans

Well, I disagree that you'll really notice the performance difference between a "budget" SSD and a "premium" SSD - either one will give you a vast boost in performance that will be immediately noticeable.
    That said, poor quality SSDs will start having glitches, freezing, stuttering, and even data corruption over time. High quality SSDs like Samsung and Intel will have no such issues and continue to perform well over time.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome

One of the things that is holding me back from getting a laptop is that i like having 5 budget SSDs in the one box for speedy backup. SSDs are so tiny i can't imagine it would be that hard to do.

Beans
    Distro

And it gets better. When Ubuntu 13.10 arrives in a few months with the brand new Linux 3.10 kernel with the improved SSD support, it will be even faster (and probably fix the boot crashes you are experiencing).

Beans
    Hidden!

i am on Xubuntu now.... xfce I like it... will the new Linux kernel upgrade ok to a XUBU install???? 13.04

Beans
    Distro

Xubuntu is on the same upgrade schedule as standard Ubuntu, I believe. So yes, you can upgrade Xubuntu from kernel 3.8 to 3.10 when the time comes.