Thread: Manually putting a program icon under Wine's "Programs" folder

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Manually putting a program icon under Wine's "Programs" folder

You won't believe what I got to run under WINE. WordStar for Windows 2.0! It was the last version of WordStar and it came out in 1992. It was a 16-bit program. I installed it because I have old WSWin files I want to convert over. It runs under WINE's Windows 3.1 setting.

The WSWin installer did not, however, put the WordStar icon under the programs folder. I'd like to do so. I'm also going to attempt installing a French/English -- French/German dictionary named Ultralingua. However, what I have is a portable edition. In Windows I would simply make a folder under "Program Files (x86)" and copy all the files there, then make a shortcut on the desktop. This program has no installer -- or at least I lost the copy I bought that did and later made this one into a portable copy. So I'm thinking, as is the case with WordStar for Windows, I'm going to need to somehow manually put an icon under "Programs".

Edit: An update -- I found these instructions here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wine
    Changing application specific settings
    Type this command into your terminal.

winecfg
    Click on Add Application...

Navigate to where the .exe is and choose that program
    The dropdown at the bottom allows you to choose which version of Windows Wine should emulate. Also, any changes to the Libraries and Graphics tabs will only affect the chosen application in the Applications tab.
    Using Windows Themes/Skins In Wine
    I did that, but no WordStar for Windows program group or icon shows up under WINE. I also went to WSWIN.EXE and right clicked and linked it to the desktop, but no desktop shortcut shows up. Maybe the program is just to old? I can run it by surfing to WSWIN.EXE and double clicking.
    Last edited by Tom_ZeCat; July 9th, 2013 at 05:32 AM.
    ===========
    Kubuntu 22.04 LTS, (Win 7 & Win 2K in VirtualBox)

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Manually putting a program icon under Wine's "Programs" folder

Work out the command to run the program in Wine on the command line (it'll be something like wine /some/path/MSWIN.EXE - case is important) and then create a launcher on the Desktop or menu that runs that command.
    None but ourselves can free our minds

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Manually putting a program icon under Wine's "Programs" folder

Quote Originally Posted by CatKiller View Post
    Work out the command to run the program in Wine on the command line (it'll be something like wine /some/path/MSWIN.EXE - case is important) and then create a launcher on the Desktop or menu that runs that command.
    That worked! Thanks.
    ===========
    Kubuntu 22.04 LTS, (Win 7 & Win 2K in VirtualBox)