Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Medibuntu needed anymore?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Is Medibuntu needed anymore?

I saw a thread on another forum regarding the Medibuntu repo. Some said it was necessary, others said it's no longer needed.

Opinions?
    Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without Music, Life Would Be A Mistake" - So, what album are you NOW PLAYING?

My Last.FM | My Original Music at Jamendo

Beans

Re: Is Medibuntu needed anymore?

Yes and no.

You can add the medibuntu repositories to your *buntu install so no it's not.

If you care about staying legal and you live in certain countries (like USA) then you need to really understand what's involved when you load that stuff. Also, medibuntu installs it all so you don't have to figure it all out. So yes it is.

<soapbox>
    Personally I don't see why I shouldn't be able to put a BluRay disk into my box and watch it, the same way somebody with a Windows box can do. I don't want to copy it, or decrypt it, or share it with anyone. I just think I should be able to watch it without any fuss and without breaking any laws.
    </soapbox>

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Not a support question. Thread moved to Ubuntu, Linux and OS Chat.
    Please, people, remember to BACKUP before you install that new system. Same if you're upgrading.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 1clue View Post
    Yes and no.

You can add the medibuntu repositories to your *buntu install so no it's not.
    If you need to add its repo than it means it is needed, no?

I guess it is still needed for new users who don't know how to compile libdvdcss and add some non free codecs (and the libav-extras libraries)
    Last edited by monkeybrain2012; July 9th, 2013 at 02:59 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

The only thing I need from the medibuntu repositories is libdvdcss2, which can be installed without enabling the repositories, by using the install script located in /usr/share/doc/libdvdread. As long as I can still install the library, I don't care where it comes from, and for the most part the rest of the packages in that repository, aren't really needed any more, unless you get a thrill out of hot-babe.

Beans

Yeah but a binary is preferable to command line and compiling
    Last edited by MadmanRB; July 9th, 2013 at 05:46 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post
    The only thing I need from the medibuntu repositories is libdvdcss2, which can be installed without enabling the repositories, by using the install script located in /usr/share/doc/libdvdread. As long as I can still install the library, I don't care where it comes from, and for the most part the rest of the packages in that repository, aren't really needed any more, unless you get a thrill out of hot-babe.
    Since the script fetches libdvdcss2 from medibuntu's repository I suppose it won't work if the medibuntu repository is no longer maintained. It is quite easy for more experienced users to download the source from videolan to compile it themselves, though it may be quite intimidating for new users.

Beans

When medibuntu supplied ffmpeg/libav with faac support it had some value beyond libdvdcss2 & w32codecs (w64codecs has always be a hair above worthless

At this point w32codecs isn't needed much, will be less so for general users when libav gets around to updating to 0.9.x (6 months & counting there, plus libav 9 could support fdk-aac which is better than faac & the bottom of the barrel libvo-aacenc0

The libdvdread script will remain fine as long as the server is up & if you read the script it contains a fallback to try to compile libdvdcss if not available from medibuntu (whether that actually works don't know, don't care.

The is also a small script posted by andrew.46 that acquires, builds & installs libdvdcss2 in very short order, from a user perspective no real difference from running the dvdread script

So semi-convenient but not really needed

Beans

yes but the end user should not have to compile, especially something that one could easily get a binary for via debian.
    Remember folks: just because you like to spend hours compiling software doesnt mean everyone does, some of us actually have something called a life.
    Last edited by MadmanRB; July 9th, 2013 at 06:11 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I just had a look at andrew.46's instructions to build and install libdvdcss2 from source, He's set it up so that anybody that can copy and paste shouldn't have a problem making it work on their system. The instructions are here. Thanks mc4man for the pointer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast