Thread: Giving up

Beans

Giving up

Another reason I'm giving up on linux. My scanner, which I've used for 3 years under various updates of Ubuntu, is a brick now. Two days of working on it and I'm still getting "scanner busy" or "invalid argument" messages. Scrivener, which used to work under ubuntu, fails now. Tried Linux Mint 15; nothing works. Printer works barely. Used to be that linux in general and Ubuntu in particular worked flawlessly, well almost, with everything and was far easier to set up than windows. Not anymore. I've had it, I quit, I'm surrendering and buying a Mac.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Giving up

Moved to its own thread in Ubuntu, Linux and OS Chat.
    Please, people, remember to BACKUP before you install that new system. Same if you're upgrading.

Ubuntu membership via Forums contributions

Beans

I've had it, I quit, I'm surrendering and buying a Mac.
    You just needed an excuse didn't you.

P.S. After you buy your brand new toy test that bricked scanner on it to see if it works!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by EgoGratis View Post
    You just needed an excuse didn't you.

P.S. After you buy your brand new toy test that bricked scanner on it to see if it works!
    LOL.

Best wishes, OP- I'm not a day to day Ubuntu user anymore either. I gave up and got Debian.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by rshel View Post
    Another reason I'm giving up on linux. My scanner, which I've used for 3 years under various updates of Ubuntu, is a brick now. Two days of working on it and I'm still getting "scanner busy" or "invalid argument" messages. Scrivener, which used to work under ubuntu, fails now. Tried Linux Mint 15; nothing works. Printer works barely. Used to be that linux in general and Ubuntu in particular worked flawlessly, well almost, with everything and was far easier to set up than windows. Not anymore. I've had it, I quit, I'm surrendering and buying a Mac.
    well if it worked for 3 years in ubuntu and suddenly stopped working i would at least test it on another os/computer before i blamed it on the os
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Youll be back. I've been there. You'll sit there worrying all the time if there is a hidden rootkit that your not aware of watching your every move, harvesting your passwords. Just waiting for you to login into your bank account. Not saying it's gonna happen, but you'll be worried about it.

Try turning off the firewall. Is it a network scanner.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

My 10 year old scanner is still working perfectly with Ubuntu.
    It's an Epson Perfection 1670. You can pick one up cheap second hand.You just need to edit one config file and copy the firmware file to make it work.
    As for Macs, I've always thought that they were overpriced and underpowered compared to what you could build yourself for the same money.
    But they are shiny!

Beans

Windows = crap OS & crap MS software. On the plus side a HUGE selection of well written apps, even the freebies
    Linux =brilliant OS and good selection of software although seriously deficient in some areas - fax for instance
    Mac = beautiful eye candy and a good OS - well it is 'nix after all. However, Mac software is low on choice and freebies look like they are done in kindergarten compared to Win stuff.

I speak from having three drives in my box with Win7, OSX ML and Ubuntu+Mint. Needless to say the Mac is a Hack, but I would not want to pay their prices to find out it is not as good as they think it is.

Try buying Brother printers. Best manufacturer for Mac/Linux support.

Forum member has not been back. Thank you for the discussion. Thread closed.