Thread: ubuntu phone related :D

Beans

ubuntu phone related :D

hi guys!
    I really hope I'm in the right place for asking this question. I want to install Ubuntu Phone on my Galaxy Nexus. And my question is: Can I go back to Android just by installing another Android ROM? Because I'm afraid I don't like it and can't switch back!

thanks,
    mko

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: ubuntu phone related :D

Moved to Mobile Technology Discussions.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

It is all here. Look for the section called Restoring Android.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Touch/Install

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans

thank you very much^^

mko

Beans

Is the ubuntu phone os already stable to use as a daily phone?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Core apps are still in progress, as I understand it. The demos I've seen use a lot of placeholder graphics in place of real applications, and I think the current progress on 13.10 isn't usable yet - e-mail client is kind of a blank screen.
    I know I shouldn't use tildes for decoration, but they always make me feel at home~

Beans

Hello, I'm currently using a nexus 4 with ubuntu touch installed as per the wiki, the present install according to uname -a on the terminal app is Linux ubuntu-phablet 3.4.0-3-mako #17 SMP PREEMPT.

I'm using this as my only phone, yes it's pretty risky but if you're going to talk the talk you better walk the walk

My qustions :

How often am I recomended to make a phablet-flash update ? (how often is the build updated on average?)
    How and where can I report back the issues I find ? I guess general usage and applicaion functionality is probably pretty well covered as it is, but carrier speciific feedback might be of interest, although I'm happy to report back any issues.
    Can I connect to a dock and monitor to get the full desktop version in this above stated version of the os?

To this day and with the build stated above i find these issues to be of great importance:

Sim services - contacts import from sim card not admitted.
    Security - the phone can no be locked using a code.
    Security - the simcard will not be accepted unless unlocked.
    Camera functionallty is lacking giving me a reduced field of view, if working at all.
    Screen freezes in regular interwalls.
    Wake up on powerbutton sometimes does not work.
    Wake up on incomming call sometimes does not work, and the phone can not be waken up by powerbutton, as this happens the missed call is not listed.
    The app screen sometimes does not allow me to scoll vertically, leving me with no posibillity to close running applications.
    Exit command on terminal application does not work.
    Incomming message notification on top scroller, the bright blue envelope on top of screen, does not go grey after clearing all messeges.
    Sound function on top scroller only says empty!.

These are but a few of the issues encountered so far, I understand and fully respect the state of development, and I'm greatful for what does work, I just thought this might be of some help, thank you for all the hard work, keep it up.

Best regards from Sweden.

Beans

My qustions and findings above are updated below, now I'm running the 1.0 version based on 13.10 using the guide on ubuntu.com on a nexus 4.

My qustions :

How and where can I report back the issues I find ? Here ? I guess general usage and applicaion functionality is probably pretty well covered as it is, although I'm happy to report back any issues.
    Can I connect to a dock and monitor to get the full desktop version in this above stated version of the os?

Updated list of issues I find with the 1.0 release stated above that I find to be of great importance:

Sim services - contacts import from sim card still not possible.
    Sim services - can not run USSD codes, such as for reload my pre-paid sim or ordering bustickets via sms.
    Security - the phone can no be locked using a code.
    Security - the simcard will not be accepted unless unlocked.
    Screen freezes in regular interwalls, needs to be switched off and on again to get it back to working order.
    Exit command on terminal application does not work.
    Bluetooth keeps reactivating it self even if explicitly asked not to (turned off).
    Sound - no posibillity to mute sound (ring tone etc.).
    Battery life is still very lacking.
    No possibillity to remove dummy data from video or music.
    Time only displayed in AM/PM format, no 24hour time option.
    Wheather displayed in odd format, no celcius, m/s, or other options leving the application pretty useless for outside US use.
    Keyboard layout not alloving for swedish letters.

Is anyone reading this ? where should I post this so that it benefits the development ?

Best regards from Sweden.
    Last edited by martinsson; January 4th, 2014 at 06:44 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

This link has sections How to Report Bugs and Where to Discuss.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Touch/Contribute

Become part of the team. You can also get involved with QA Ubuntu - Quality Assurance. This is link is specific for Ubuntu Touch.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/QATeam/TouchTesting

If there were docks on the market you could then connect to a dock. Are there any on the market? I do not know but I have seen videos of developers using Ubuntu phone and plugged into a monitor and running the full Ubuntu desktop user interface. A lot of work has been done on the onscreen keyboard. I have even seen it working with a Touch screen monitor. Do not ask me where these video are. I have tried to find them and failed.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans

Thanks,I'm not a developer, more of an early adopter perhaps, and as such filing bugs on launchpad seems a bit beyond my knowledge, I just wanted to let them know about the general usage and the quirks i come across in the daily usage without joining the team and mailinglists, I better leave this to the pro's it seems, I thought this forum was a valid channel for this sort of thing, and I'm all to happy to post my findings here.

Thanks for the help though, still using it by the way, but I have to switch phone from time to time, when i need to wake up in the morning, have to be able to lock the phone orsimply get a busticket.