Thread: Does the Kubuntu 13.04 installer not provide an "alongside Windows" option?

Beans

Does the Kubuntu 13.04 installer not provide an "alongside Windows" option?

The poster over here seems to feel that that is the case: http://askubuntu.com/questions/31938...-autoinstaller

monkeybrain2012 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans

Re: Does the Kubuntu 13.04 installer not provide an "alongside Windows" option?

If you know how to install Windows you probably have no problem installing Kubuntu with manual install, if not, say, you have a laptop preinstalled with Windows chances are "install along Windows" won't work anyway as Windows tends to use up all 4 primary partitions on laptops and you have to shrink/repartition to install other OSes in that case.

Of course you should wipe out Windows IMO.
    Last edited by monkeybrain2012; July 13th, 2013 at 07:29 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Windows uses logical volumes now.

Windows did use primary partitions all the way up through 7, but generally just two of them.

I know that Ubuntu will only display the "install alongside" option if it detects an existing system it can understand. If there are problems and the existing system can't be identified, that option just won't appear. It's more likely that the user encountered a bug than that one of the most basic features of the installer has simply been disabled, but I haven't tried it (though I'm downloading the .iso now to see, I'd guess that someone with an install disk on hand can tell you before I get there.)
    I know I shouldn't use tildes for decoration, but they always make me feel at home~

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Copper Bezel View Post
    I know that Ubuntu will only display the "install alongside" option if it detects an existing system it can understand. If there are problems and the existing system can't be identified, that option just won't appear. It's more likely that the user encountered a bug than that one of the most basic features of the installer has simply been disabled, but I haven't tried it (though I'm downloading the .iso now to see, I'd guess that someone with an install disk on hand can tell you before I get there.)
    The OP was short on detail. I haven't read anything about Kubuntu dropping the "alongside" option or not using the usual Ubiquity installer. And the options that appear depend on how Ubiquity "reads" the situation. If a partition isn't available, the alongside option isn't shown. Of course, it's possible that the new "ownership" has made some changes. But I think it a bit unlikely.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Tried it. Kubuntu does use Ubiquity, but with a custom Qt front-end. The option to install "alongside" is definitely present and was selected by default, although it was labeled cryptically enough for me ("resize [X partition] and use freed space") that someone might miss it or mistake it for something else. I don't know if that's a result of the machine being dual boot already, but I remember the regular-blend Ubiquity saying "Install alongside Ubuntu *.* and Windows 7" or something similar.
    Last edited by Copper Bezel; July 13th, 2013 at 09:53 AM.
    I know I shouldn't use tildes for decoration, but they always make me feel at home~