Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Permission problems updating Seamonkey?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Permission problems updating Seamonkey?

Quote Originally Posted by nanotube View Post
    hmm, could be something borked in your profile. try moving your old profile dir out of the way and starting fresh:
    Borked in ALL my profiles? Even in the newly created ones? That seems absurd

I will try to install previous version 2.17.1 and see what happens.

Beans
    Distro

Before installing an older version, I'll see if there is a general profile problem.

I can see, when Seamonkey closed, a .parentlock file in all the profiles. I think that should not be there, so I've tried and delete it for one of the profiles, the last I created with the last installation, which I'll use for testing purposes. After deleting the .parentlock, I've tried to start Seamonkey in safe mode and -as always- it has exited after chosing the profile, with no message error. But I've discovered that the .parentlock has just beeing created when exiting!! It might be a clue or something?

Beans
    Distro

BTW. I've got my profiles at a normal location: /home/USERNAME/.mozilla/seamonkey

Beans
    Distro

A great advance!! I've just found that bypassing the Profile Manager allows me to normally open any profile I want!

./seamonkey -profile "/home/USERNAME/.mozilla/seamonkey/PROFILEFOLDER"

As it's said at http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_in...e_and_location

If you can't spot an error in that file try running the Mozilla application with a specific profile using command line arguments. This bypasses the profile manager and profiles.ini. If you succeed then you know that the problem is with profiles.ini
    So I guess the problem was with that file. Now that I recover the access to my profiles, I'll investigate with more calm this profiles.ini issue.

After reinstalling with Ubuntuzilla, same behaviour happens: through Profile Manager, existing profiles are unaccessible, but when opening with command line and -profile option it starts correctly.

I hope my documentation of these problems and steps I followed will help anyone with similar problems
    Last edited by Manoel; July 12th, 2013 at 09:50 AM.

Beans
    Distro

The only strange thing I can see at profile.ini is this bunch of lines:

Code:
    [Profile1]
    Name=Default User
    IsRelative=1
    Path=t54ld5ot.Default User
    I mean those blank spaces could be creating some issue? This profile was not created by me. There is another "default" profile, with no empty spaces in it:

Code:
    [Profile0]
    Name=default
    IsRelative=1
    Path=doelvaln.default
    Could it be the thing causing this start-up problems with the profiles? :-m

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Quote Originally Posted by Manoel View Post
    Borked in ALL my profiles? Even in the newly created ones? That seems absurd
    yes, all your profiles. there's a .ini file that's shared by all.

I will try to install previous version 2.17.1 and see what happens.
    sure, why not give it a whirl. though it seems that trying to nuke your .mozilla/seamonkey dir is an easier thing to try first.

i see you've delved into the .ini file some - i can't really help you there since i never dug into that myself. i don't suppose you've tried nuking the .mozilla/seamonkey dir as i suggested and seeing if that makes the problem go away?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12