Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Permission problems updating Seamonkey?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Permission problems updating Seamonkey?

Hi. I hope somebody can help me. I'm using Seamonkey with Ubuntu since the beginning but from some version on, I wasn't able to update versions as a normal user because I got the message about "...you don't have the system permissions required...", so I began to update using "sudo seamonkey" and then, when updating was over, I closed seamonkey and started it again as a normal user. In this way I was able to do a lot of updatings with no problem at all, but now, when trying to update to 2.19, this method was no longer valid, and when I went back to the normal user Seamonkey, it opened profile start-up window and then when I click on the profile I wanted, and click on "Use Profile", nothing happens and seamonkey exists with a "1" value. I guess it has to do with permissions. When I installed the ubuntuzilla packages it asked for the SUDO password, so I think it has to do with what they say at http://kb.mozillazine.org/Browser_wi...t_up#Ownership (Seamonkey installed as root) But I haven't been able to fix it. If I update with "sudo..." then I can't go into my profile as a normal user. If I reinstall through Ubuntuzilla, then it all is OK but I'm stuck with 2.17.1 version I guess it could be OK if Ubuntuzilla offers the last version (2.19). Must I wait till then? How will I know that it's already available? Would be any security risk if I use 2.17.1? Thanks in advance to anybody who can help.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: Permission problems updating Seamonkey?

Hi,
    I've just pushed seamonkey 2.19 to the ubuntuzilla repository, so you should be able to update via the package manager.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks for the quick answer and update! But sadly it didn't work either! Now I have the Ubuntuzilla-updated 2.19 version of Seamonkey but when I start at command line or through Gnome desktop, it always exits with "1" value I think it would be dangerous to run Seamonkey as SUDO, so I need to fix the Seamonkey access as normal user. I'm at a lost! Any idea?

Beans
    Distro

In my tries I've found something curious which can give some clue about what is happening: when profile startup window opens, if I choose an already existing profile, Seamonkey exits with error (nothing happens, exit value=1). But, if through profile manager window I create a new profile, Seamonkey starts correctly! If I just close Seamonkey and try to start it again with that newly created profile, same thing happens as with older ones: after clicking on "Use profile", it exists in error

Beans
    Distro

I'm wondering... should I uninstall and install again as normal user? How is it done through Ubuntuzilla? Should I try this installation procedure http://www.seamonkey-project.org/doc...#install_linux instead?

Beans
    Distro

Hi,

Hard to say, with all that sudo-ing you did earlier you could have messed up some permissions somewhere.

I would suggest that as a first try to fix things, you try to chown all files in your seamonkey profile dir to yourself. Use this command:
    Code:
    sudo chown -R yourusername:yourusername ~/.mozilla/seamonkey
    (obviously change 'yourusername' to your actual username)

See if that helps. If it doesn't, then I would suggest uninstalling seamonkey, wiping the directory where all the stuff goes (if you used ubuntuzilla, should be /opt/seamonkey), and reinstalling again.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks again, Nanotube. But I already tried that as I saw at http://kb.mozillazine.org/Browser_wi...t_up#Ownership that it could be a fix in some cases. I tried again just a moment ago and the problem is still there.

So I'll uninstall and install it back. You didn't say if I should better install again with ubuntuzilla or independently... I think I'll try those instructions at http://www.seamonkey-project.org/doc...#install_linux It's a pity because ubuntuzilla made things a lot easier for me... til now, I must say

Beans
    Distro

I've just removed the ubuntuzilla installation and have the tar.bz2 manually installed instead. To my sad surprise, behaviour is absolutely the same! Profile manager starts but any profile I chose, it closes with an error value, and no feedback! Only newly created profile would open the suite, but then even this profile, once closed, is unaccessible later

./seamonkey -safe-mode is of no use, either. It also exits with no error message.
    Last edited by Manoel; July 11th, 2013 at 11:29 PM.

Beans
    Distro

hmm, could be something borked in your profile. try moving your old profile dir out of the way and starting fresh:

Code:
    mv ~/.mozilla/seamonkey ~/.mozilla/seamonkey.backup
    then start again and see.

(and if you're happy with ubuntuzilla, you can always go back to it once we figure this out. )

Beans
    Distro

This is the troubleshooting info when started in safe mode and a new profile is created:
    {
    "application": {
    "name": "SeaMonkey",
    "version": "2.19",
    "userAgent": "Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i686; rv:22.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/22.0 SeaMonkey/2.19",
    "supportURL": "http://www.seamonkey-project.org/doc/"
    },
    "modifiedPreferences": {
    "browser.cache.disk.capacity": 358400,
    "browser.cache.disk.smart_size.first_run": false,
    "browser.cache.disk.smart_size.use_old_max": false,
    "browser.cache.disk.smart_size_cached_value": 358400,
    "browser.places.smartBookmarksVersion": 4,
    "browser.startup.homepage_override.mstone": "rv:22.0",
    "extensions.lastAppVersion": "2.19",
    "network.cookie.prefsMigrated": true,
    "places.history.expiration.transient_current_max_p ages": 49455
    },
    "graphics": {
    "numTotalWindows": 1,
    "numAcceleratedWindows": 0,
    "windowLayerManagerType": "Basic",
    "numAcceleratedWindowsMessage": [
    ""
    ],
    "adapterDescription": "NVIDIA Corporation -- GeForce 7050 PV / nForce 630a/integrated/SSE2/3DNOW!",
    "adapterVendorID": "NVIDIA Corporation",
    "adapterDeviceID": "GeForce 7050 PV / nForce 630a/integrated/SSE2/3DNOW!",
    "adapterRAM": "",
    "adapterDrivers": "",
    "driverVersion": "2.1.2 NVIDIA 304.88",
    "driverDate": "",
    "webglRenderer": "NVIDIA Corporation -- GeForce 7050 PV / nForce 630a/integrated/SSE2/3DNOW!",
    "info": {
    "AzureCanvasBackend": "cairo",
    "AzureFallbackCanvasBackend": "none",
    "AzureContentBackend": "none"
    }
    },
    "javaScript": {
    "incrementalGCEnabled": true
    },
    "accessibility": {
    "isActive": false,
    "forceDisabled": 0