Thread: Software center problem

Beans

Software center problem

Hi all,
    Today I wanted to download Gimp in my Ubuntu 12.04 LTS machine.So,I opened software center to install that.The latest version of Gimp is 2.8 but software center has version 2.6.I want to download the latest version.What should I do????
    Last edited by vicke4; July 8th, 2013 at 03:27 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Software center problem

You could install via a ppa, probably the easiest method.

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2012/05/gimp-2-8-released

Beans

Thank you....
    And one another help,are all applications I'm installing using software center out of date??
    How to get latest versions???

Beans
    Hidden!

In 12.04 the S-C versions are not all the most recent, but there are many ppa repos available to help you out.

As examples, I have the gimp ppa mentioned above, the libreoffice ppa for version 4.0.4.2, the ppa for the most recent get-iplayer for BBC programmes (only useful in UK), the ppa for xfce 4.10 for my xubuntu 12.04, and the intel xorg driver updated version to ensure SNA acceleration with my HD4000 integrated graphic chip.

Search around and I'm sure there will be many others available for aplications you want as up to date as possible. I think the stability of 12.04 along with these ppa repos gives me the best of both worlds
    DISTRO: Xubuntu 12.04-64bit --- Code-tags --- Boot-Repair --- Grub2 wiki & Grub2 Basics --- RootSudo

Beans

Thanks for the info ajgreeny........