Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lenovo P500 poor/unreliable wifi signal NO connection hard wired

Beans

Question Lenovo P500 poor/unreliable wifi signal NO connection hard wired

I apologize ahead of time, I am SO new to Ubuntu that I am only just learning how to navigate the system.

Here's my issue. This machine came with windows 8. I wasn't happy with that OS so at the suggestion of friends we installed Ubuntu 12.04. I thought the wireless issue was caused my the windows 8 program and thus, thought it would be solved by removed said OS and installing ubuntu.

It didn't fix the problem. Lenovo cannot help much, I knew more about Ubuntu than the service guy on the phone. He told me the problem was most likely driver related.

Here's where I may embarrass myself, but I guess we all have to start somewhere... He wanted me to try and locate d: ... I couldn't. I did think it was wiped out when we installed this OS. He also wanted me to find the device manager so we could trouble shoot the lan drivers. I wasn't able to find those anywhere.

Wired connection does not work, the wireless fluctuates between slow, really slow and not there. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
    Cecilia
    Last edited by xinemae; December 11th, 2012 at 06:28 PM. Reason: spelling

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Lenovo P500 poor/unreliable wifi signal NO connection hard wired

Did you do a complete wipe and install Ubuntu only, or did you set up for dual boot so you could go back to Windows 8 in the event Linux didn't suit you?

Did you make a system recovery CD / DVD set from Windows before you started messing with the operating system and boot loader?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by memilanuk View Post
    Did you do a complete wipe and install Ubuntu only, or did you set up for dual boot so you could go back to Windows 8 in the event Linux didn't suit you?

Did you make a system recovery CD / DVD set from Windows before you started messing with the operating system and boot loader?
    Dual booting isn't possible with Windows 8 home edition, so yes, it was wiped clean. No I do not believe he made a recovery set from windows before doing so. I won't ever be going back to windows lol so I think that sorta dictated his actions.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by xinemae View Post
    Dual booting isn't possible with Windows 8 home edition, so yes, it was wiped clean.
    Interesting... given that a search on Google for 'linux windows 8 dual boot' returns oodles of pages detailing exactly that.

No I do not believe he made a recovery set from windows before doing so. I won't ever be going back to windows lol so I think that sorta dictated his actions.
    So you didn't make a recovery set first and you obviously didn't try it out with a Live CD to see if you had any potential hardware issues, and its not even your machine that you were gambling with.

Beautiful.

Lenovo has support forums, including one specifically for Linux. Maybe they can help you.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I'll be glad to help you. First, let's find out what wireless and ethernet devices you have. Please open a terminal and run and post:
    Code:
    lspci -nn | grep -e 0200 -e 0280
    The pipe symbol | is on the right side of my US keyboard on the same key with \.

I have two Lenovos running 12.10 perfectly, so I'm fairly confident we can get you going.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans

Interesting... given that a search on Google for 'linux windows 8 dual boot' returns oodles of pages detailing exactly that.
    I'm not entirely sure what I did to make you take such a negative turn. If my wording was the cause, then understand that wasn't the intent. I fully admitted to being new to this, and your response presents itself with gobs of ridicule. I came for help, not chastisement, no matter how thinly veiled.

I did try dual booting and when we encountered errors our searches turned up that you couldn't dual boot with windows 8 edition because one is not allow access to change group permissions or something of that sort and UEFI issues. We were even told by Lenovo support that dual booting windows 8 home edition wasn't possible.

So you didn't make a recovery set first and you obviously didn't try it out with a Live CD to see if you had any potential hardware issues, and its not even your machine that you were gambling with.

Beautiful.

Lenovo has support forums, including one specifically for Linux. Maybe they can help you.
    If my issue happens with Windows 8 and Ubuntu, my initial thought WAS hardware problems, but I was told it was probably a driver issue. It IS my machine... just purchased.

So, tell me please, how is a newbie, such as myself supposed to differentiate? This is frustrating enough without the negativity.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by chili555 View Post
    I'll be glad to help you. First, let's find out what wireless and ethernet devices you have. Please open a terminal and run and post:
    Code:
    lspci -nn | grep -e 0200 -e 0280
    The pipe symbol | is on the right side of my US keyboard on the same key with \.

I have two Lenovos running 12.10 perfectly, so I'm fairly confident we can get you going.
    Thank you for your help, I will run and post

Beans

(standard input):01:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8101E/RTL8102E PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller [10ec:8136] (rev 05)
    grep: 0280: No such file or directory

Beans

(standard input):01:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8101E/RTL8102E PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller [10ec:8136] (rev 05)
    grep: 0280: No such file or directory

Beans

Have you actually tried with updating the drivers in ubuntu, find out what the name of your Wireless adapter is and install the ubuntu supported drivers on the website.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast