Thread: I found TCPassword Sniffer

Beans

I found TCPassword Sniffer

I'm curious about this password sniffer I found on my machine. I read that it is a WINDOWS ONLY "Password Monitoring Software" and likely won't work on Ubuntu, but as this is the first time I've seen it on my machine.
    I found it inside a cookie listed as "jobs.alliedbarton.com" - a site for rent-a-cop security guards. I didn't register on the site and don't recall looking at it. When I looked up TCPassword I found it was an open source program for recovering (Hacking?) Windows passwords. It's registered as:

NirSoft.net - "NirSoft web site provides a unique collection of small and useful freeware utilities, all of them developed by Nir Sofer. "

SniffPass v1.13 - Password Monitoring Software
    Copyright (c) 2005 - 2012 Nir Sofer
    Related Links

I'd like to know why a job search site for rent-a-cops would want to add something like this inside a cookie. Also, if I had been using a Windows machine to visit Allied Barton, would this have been automatically installed and working.
    It is just very strange.
    Thank you.

I'm using Ubuntu 12.04 and Firefox 22.0 - Mozilla Firefox for Ubuntu canonical 1.0

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: I found TCPassword Sniffer

Send an email to the website maintainer. They might be interested in your investigative work and offer you a job! If their website has been compromised, then they have some housecleaning to do.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans

Re: I found TCPassword Sniffer

Hmm, that utility works pretty good. I used it to find user email passwords back when I did support for a few small companies, since absolutely nobody ever write them down.