Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Radeon HD 3870 driver installation issue on “Ubuntu 12.04 precise”

Beans

Exclamation Radeon HD 3870 driver installation issue on “Ubuntu 12.04 precise”

Radeon HD 3870 driver installation issue on "Ubuntu 12.04 precise":
    [EDIT](TLDR)
    Hey everyone, I got my problem fixed by using the latest answer given to me here:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/31649...-12-04-precise

used the makson96/fglrx repository method and it worked like a charm!

The given Instructions I used can be found in here:
    https://launchpad.net/~makson96/+archive/fglrx
    for prettier formatting look'em up at the bottom of the page of the first link! ^_^
    yay!
    [/EDIT]

I know that this is my actual driver because:

> ~$ lspci | grep -i amd
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI RV670 [Radeon HD 3870]
    01:00.1 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI RV670/680 HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 3690/3800 Series]

Steps I've taken:

1. Gone here:
    http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownloa...eon_linux.aspx

2. Installed "AMD Catalyst™ 13.1 Proprietary Linux x86 Display Driver"

3. Restarted

4. Launched "amdcccle" and got the following error message:

"Initialization error"

There was a problem initializing Catalyst Control Center Linux edition. It could be caused by the following.
    No AMD graphics driver is installed, or the AMD driver is not functioning properly.
    Please install the AMD driver appropriate for you AMD hardware, or configure using aticonfig.
    -5. Got my hands on something called: "ubuntu-amd-catalyst-install", installed and and launched it and it showed me the following error message:

"The Fan Club - Ubuntu AMD Catalyst™ Install"
    Detected graphics controller:

Hynix Semiconductor (Hyundai Electronics) Radeon HD 3870

Ubuntu 12.04
    Linux Kernel: 3.5
    X-Server version:

Your system is not supported by this driver

Your system is not supported by this driver <--- ????

I installed synaptic and then installed the fglrx driver from there, didn't make "amdcccle" start working either.

I've also ran "aticonfig --initial" and it didn't change anything.

At the moment I am not pleased because my maximum (and only) resolution is 1024x768 and I wish to change that.

I definitely remembering installing Ubuntu couple of years ago with the same hardware never got this kind of error message.

Have the ubuntu development team done something wrong over the years to ubuntu
    that degraded it's ability to support my (unchanged) hardware?

I've looked up the suggested searches and non of them seem to help me, I put my trust in your hands, I hope that you can help me figure out why ubuntu has stopped supporting my used-to-be-completely-supported graphic card.

Thanks ahead for any positive helpers.

I was told to remove everything I've done (which I have by now) and to go here and use this guide:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BinaryDriverHowto/ATI

I did, then in step 2.1.8 I got this output after sending the command "fglrxinfo":

X Error of failed request: BadRequest (invalid request code or no such operation)
    Major opcode of failed request: 153 (GLX)
    Minor opcode of failed request: 19 (X_GLXQueryServerString)
    Serial number of failed request: 12
    Current serial number in output stream: 12
    when it is written in the guide that I should get something like:

display: :0 screen: 0
    OpenGL vendor string: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
    OpenGL renderer string: AMD Radeon HD 6300M Series
    OpenGL version string: 4.2.11733 Compatibility Profile Context
    Please ubuntu experts I need your help, why is this happening? what do I do?

I also tried posting this help request in other domains but they are too slow, so I thought of trying out my luck in here as well.
    Last edited by QIII; July 8th, 2013 at 07:36 PM. Reason: Unnecessary and overly large image removed.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Radeon HD 3870 driver installation issue on “Ubuntu 12.04 precise”

Miki800; Hi !

May not be much that can be done. It is unfortunate that such popular cards no longer have support from AMD (ATI):

IF its an HD 2x/3x/4x then you are out of luck as AMD announced <last> summer that it is relegating these chipsets to legacy status and will not be developing new drivers for them. Existing restricted drivers from AMD won't work either, because they require X-server v1.12 and Ubuntu 12.10 uses X-server v1.13.
    That's because, starting with Ubuntu 12.04.2, the X-server version was updated to a newer version that is now incompatible with the HD 2x/3x/4x series AMD cards.
    (Mark Phelps)
    So, lets see what kernel you are running:
    Code:
    uname -r
    3.5 series and above kernel and the only option for a graphics driver is the open source drivers.

a tale is told
    THE current(cy) in Documentation:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PopularPages

Happy ubuntu'n !

Beans

3.5.0-36-generic

I had this very same hardware and an older ubuntu with full graphic card support some time ago, I think maybe even before 04/2012.

my point is - code of drivers that support what I got for ubuntu - exists (or at least existed and then removed maybe.. ?)

do I need to downgrade my kernel version or ubuntu version itself to make that code work again?

Beans
    Distro

Miki800;

One may down grade the kernel .. but that is not at all a recommendation... -one has to really know their system and stay on top of it- there are a number of risk involved in doing so.

Consider this... (re-)install the older version 12.04 as it has the kernel that is compatible with ATI's proprietary drivers.
    I am also in your boat with the older ATI graphics card and I have kept the 2.6 kernel line on my system rather than upgrading to kernel 3.5 (12.04.2).
    Then you will maintain full support and no security risk///the 2.6 kernel series remains valid for all updates within the initial install.
    Downside: there will be a ton of updates to get the install up to date !

It will take a bit of research to find that old 12.04.1 install image, but I know it is available.

ubuntu, there are options

Happy ubuntu'n !

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Bashing-om View Post
    Miki800;

One may down grade the kernel .. but that is not at all a recommendation... -one has to really know their system and stay on top of it- there are a number of risk involved in doing so.

Consider this... (re-)install the older version 12.04 as it has the kernel that is compatible with ATI's proprietary drivers.
    sorry I am not following, are there more then just one 12.04 download version from ubuntu.com?
    because I downloaded the one I found for 32 bit.

Also when I said before that in the past I had ubuntu working with this graphic card I meant before 01/04/2012, there was no "old 12.04 version" back then because 12.04 did not exist yet.

I am also in your boat with the older ATI graphics card

and I have kept the 2.6 kernel line on my system rather than upgrading to kernel 3.5 (12.04.2).
    Then you will maintain full support and no security risk///the 2.6 kernel series remains valid for all updates within the initial install.
    Downside: there will be a ton of updates to get the install up to date !
    oh crap, now I get it -_-...

It will take a bit of research to find that old 12.04.1 install image, but I know it is available.
    ubuntu, there are options
    oh sh*t,

I found some old 12.04 image after downloading the current one I used for installation and thought
    what the heck, duplicates? better delete that old one for taking space O_O
    Last edited by QIII; July 8th, 2013 at 07:36 PM. Reason: Unnecessary and overly large images removedo

Beans
    Distro

Miki800;

If You do not mind (re-)installing ... lemme see what I can find,, I am sure the 12.04.1 version is still available.

laughing while trying to help

Happy ubuntu'n !

Beans

Hey everyone, I got my problem fixed by using the latest answer given to me here:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/31649...-12-04-precise

used the makson96/fglrx repository method and it worked like a charm!

The given Instructions I used can be found in here:
    https://launchpad.net/~makson96/+archive/fglrx
    for prettier formatting look'em up at the bottom of the page of the first link! ^_^
    yay!

Thank you all for attempting to help so far, I appreciate it very much!
    Last edited by QIII; July 8th, 2013 at 07:37 PM. Reason: Unnecessary and overly large image removed

Beans
    Distro

Miki800; Hey Indeed Great news !

Progress made in order to keep Good graphics cards operable.
    also corrections to my kernel version in 12.04.1 ... should be read as 3.2 series.. not 2.6 as stated... sheeshh ... whatever was I thinking ?

Good news and glad you passed it along ...

take care, enjoy

Happy ubuntu'n !

Beans

Thank you, only remaining issue now is that I am having some uncritical difficulties setting up clone display with a certain resolution that was enabled under windows.
    the currently max supported resolution for tv+screen cloning is stretched in a very violent way to my eyes, so I set both to as similar as possible of a resolution and they are on top eachother
    (1700x1000, 1680x1050) which gives me some headaches dealing with.. but I guess its not a big deal for now.

I remember having this problem every time I go back to linux, don't remember if I ever got to solving it in my past attempt.

before I give up linux again I think that I might backup my important /etc/bla/*.cfg files in my dropbox for the next attempt
    world didn't have dropbox last time I tried

Beans
    Distro

Miki800; Hi !

I do not use dual monitors.. so not much help in that respect... however, lubuntu may have the more user friendly setup for dual monitors from what I have passingly observed. Just bear in mind there are limitations to what the combined resolutions of the monitors that the graphics card can drive.

cheers

Happy ubuntu'n !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast