Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Saucy screensaver

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

Re: Saucy screensaver

Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post
    It's not changing the .deb to "control", it's opening the control file in gedit so you can edit it. (the whole point of this endeavor
    So to repeat -
    when the control file opens in gedit, edit it as i mentioned & showed in the 2 screenshots.
    After editing the control file in gedit, save (just save, nothing else.
    Then close gedit & the new "gnome-session-flashback_1%3a3.6.2-0ubuntu11.1_all.modfied.deb" will be created & saved to your home folder ready to be installed with dpkg.
    Maybe go back & read my post & look at the screens...
    Sorry about this. I know I must appear pretty dense by now but it worked that time and I did the same as before. Plus I am almost positive that when I edited the file (removing gnome-screensaver), the save button grayed out and I could not save it as is.
    That is why I say I had to click "save as" as I could not click on save but this time it did.
    Code:
    cavsfan@cavsfan-MS-7529:~$ editdeb '/var/cache/apt/archives/gnome-session-flashback_1%3a3.6.2-0ubuntu11_all.deb'
    Building new deb...
    dpkg-deb: warning: '/tmp/deb.xLgbxnNxRJ/DEBIAN/control' contains user-defined field 'Original-Maintainer'
    dpkg-deb: warning: ignoring 1 warning about the control file(s)

dpkg-deb: building package `gnome-session-flashback' in `gnome-session-flashback_1%3a3.6.2-0ubuntu11_all.modfied.deb'.
    Code:
    cavsfan@cavsfan-MS-7529:~$ sudo dpkg -i gnome-session-flashback_1%3a3.6.2-0ubuntu11_all.modfied.deb
    [sudo] password for cavsfan: 
    (Reading database ... 209811 files and directories currently installed.)
    Preparing to replace gnome-session-flashback 1:3.6.2-0ubuntu11 (using gnome-session-flashback_1%3a3.6.2-0ubuntu11_all.modfied.deb) ...
    Unpacking replacement gnome-session-flashback ...
    Setting up gnome-session-flashback (1:3.6.2-0ubuntu11.1) ...
    Processing triggers for bamfdaemon ...
    Rebuilding /usr/share/applications/bamf-2.index...
    Processing triggers for gnome-menus ...
    Processing triggers for desktop-file-utils ...
    Processing triggers for mime-support ...
    And I was finally able to remove the gnome screensaver:
    Code:
    cavsfan@cavsfan-MS-7529:~$ sudo apt-get purge gnome-screensaver
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree       
    Reading state information... Done
    The following packages will be REMOVED:
      gnome-screensaver*
    0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
    After this operation, 426 kB disk space will be freed.
    Do you want to continue [Y/n]? Y
    (Reading database ... 209810 files and directories currently installed.)
    Removing gnome-screensaver ...
    Purging configuration files for gnome-screensaver ...
    Processing triggers for man-db ...
    Problem solved! Whoot!
    Plus I learned something and will never have to bother you or anyone else to remove a file dependency when it is unneeded in a development system.
    I'm not going to go jacking with stuff on a production system because I have already borked an install or two and had to reinstall because of something I had done.
    That's not fun and it felt like I had failed. So, I watch what I am doing pretty well.

Any way thanks for your patience, help and tolerance!

Now I can add xscreensaver -no-splash to my startup applications.
    Check Java Version | Install Java via WEB UPD8 PPA
    Creating a Custom Maintenance Free GRUB2 Screen Community Wiki
    Intel Core2 Quad CPU Q9550 @ 2.84Ghz. 4.0GB DDR2 RAM, NVIDIA Geforce 9800 GT

Beans
    Distro

Did you get your white panels fixed?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Cavsfan View Post
    Did you get your white panels fixed?
    I did.
    (put up a gnome-panel patched build in a ppa, was going to mention but thought better to see this thru.
    The reason why your first attempt, ( where you may have actually edited the control file), failed is the script creates the new .deb in the directory it is run from. So in that case, /var/apt/... it didn't have permission to write there...

Overall flashback works ok though the indicators seem to swap positions on some logins & a few other oddites.

Beans
    Distro

I did.
    (put up a gnome-panel patched build in a ppa, was going to mention but thought better to see this thru.
    The reason why your first attempt, ( where you may have actually edited the control file), failed is the script creates the new .deb in the directory it is run from. So in that case, /var/apt/... it didn't have permission to write there...

Overall flashback works ok though the indicators seem to swap positions on some logins & a few other oddites.
    Good. I did not reboot until a little while ago and when I tried to login to flashback, all I got was a black screen and that was it.
    I logged into Unity just fine then logged out and selected flashback and still nothing.
    So, I logged into console (ALT+ CNTL + F1) and removed then re-installed gnome-session-flashback and then could login to
    flashback but gnome-screensaver is again installed and again a dependency.

I will try this again when I have time. I have no doubt you have the fix. I think it was probably something I did. So, I'll try it again later.

Beans

Re: Extended login time (black screen

I was going to mention the black screen at login but I don't believe it's from a modified or patched gnome-panel per se. There seems to be something else going on as I've seen it even with the default repo gnome-panel packages.

Also to note usually it's not that the login won't happen, it's just going to take 25 -30 sec's.
    If inclined test & see, just wait it out.
    I've also seen it when going from a gnome-panel (with compiz) session back to a unity session, same deal, about 25+ seconds.

I believe that this bit is relevant, seen in either .xsession-errors or .cache/upstart/gnome-session.log depending on whether extended login time occured with gnome-panel or unity sessions respectively. (the warnings & error are exact same for both when getting extended login time.
    Code:
    stdout: 
    stderr: 
    ** (process:5635): WARNING **: (../../gi/pygi-marshal-from-py.c:641):_pygi_marshal_from_py_basic_type: runtime check failed: (transfer == GI_TRANSFER_NOTHING)
    TypeError: Pointer assignment is restricted to integer values. See: https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=683599

** (process:5635): WARNING **: (../../gi/pygi-marshal-from-py.c:641):_pygi_marshal_from_py_basic_type: runtime check failed: (transfer == GI_TRANSFER_NOTHING)
    TypeError: Pointer assignment is restricted to integer values. See: https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=683599

(process:5635): GLib-GIO-ERROR **: The mapping function given to g_settings_get_mapped() for key 'favorites' in schema 'com.canonical.Unity.Launcher' returned FALSE when given a NULL value.

Possible solution on install where this occurs -
    delete ~/.dbus

also note that this seems more likely to occur on an older install then a new one...
    (personally I think 13.10 is currently a bit of a mess..
    Last edited by mc4man; August 4th, 2013 at 08:39 PM. Reason: Title specific

Beans
    Distro

Re: Extended login time (black screen

I was going to mention the black screen at login but I don't believe it's from a modified or patched gnome-panel per se. There seems to be something else going on as I've seen it even with the default repo gnome-panel packages.

Also to note usually it's not that the login won't happen, it's just going to take 25 -30 sec's.
    If inclined test & see, just wait it out.
    I've also seen it when going from a gnome-panel (with compiz) session back to a unity session, same deal, about 25+ seconds.

I believe that this bit is relevant, seen in either .xsession-errors or .cache/upstart/gnome-session.log depending on whether extended login time occured with gnome-panel or unity sessions respectively. (the warnings & error are exact same for both when getting extended login time.
    Code:
    stdout: 
    stderr: 

(process:5635): GLib-GIO-ERROR **: The mapping function given to g_settings_get_mapped() for key 'favorites' in schema 'com.canonical.Unity.Launcher' returned FALSE when given a NULL value.

Possible solution on install where this occurs -
    delete ~/.dbus

also note that this seems more likely to occur on an older install then a new one...
    (personally I think 13.10 is currently a bit of a mess..
    I tried it once and gave it about a minute maybe then brought up console logged in and sudo reboot.
    The 2nd time I did it I just walked away for about 20-30 minutes and came back and it was still at the black screen.
    I'll try it again and see what happens. At least I know how to get it back like it was. Saucy has been acting pretty good for me.
    I never have any 25 second delay on logging in but I only login to gnome flashback unless I cannot get there.
    My install was from a daily iso in July:
    Code:
    cavsfan@cavsfan-MS-7529:~$ ls -ld /var/log/installer | awk '{ print $6 " " $7 " " $8 }'
    Jul 8 14:34
    But, I think you are right it is a bit of a mess right now.

Here goes nothing *sigh*

Beans
    Distro

Seems to have worked well that time. It was pretty fast logging in too - just a few seconds.
    Thanks.

Beans
    Distro

Maybe this will help
    Code:
    wget http://ubuntuone.com/6SkxW3cqYHWg6LQGRdWtc0
    Play it in totem, vlc, whatever (fullscreen would be better
    That was pretty sweet too! I just now did that and watched it with vlc. Very well done!
    Thanks.

Beans
    Distro

It's still working pretty well!

Beans
    Distro

Guess I'll have to do this all over again. Today's updates installed an updated gnome-session-fallback and gnome-screensaver.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast