Thread: I can't log into my user after messing with drivers.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I can't log into my user after messing with drivers.

Thinkpad T400 laptop here, with both Intel and AMD (old) graphics. I normally use Intel graphics only, but I wanted to check the AMD ones too, so switched them in the BIOS, booted again, to see a stretched picture. I though it might get better with fglrx, but I now know those don't have support for the Radeon 3470 in this laptop. So I just removed them, switched back to Intel in the BIOS, reinstalled xorg, etc. following instructions at many places on the internet, "just in case".

Now I can't login to my main user (pablo). It actually logs in but I can't see Unity at all. I must return to the login screen with Ctrl+Alt+Del.

I just created a temporary user on the terminal via Ctrl+Alt+F1 (the one I'm using right now to write this) and have no issues with it, nor with the guest user.

I'm posting here my .xsession-errors file in hopes that some brave soul can catch where the problem is:

EDIT: Removed by author

I know there are a number on uninstallations that left some dirt behind, but those don't seem to be but warning errors.

Thanks in advance for any help.

EDIT: Solution found here: http://askubuntu.com/questions/20442...or-side-panels Unity wasn't starting. I just went to a terminal via Ctrl+Alt+T, launched ccsm and enabled Unity.
    Last edited by AleveSicofante; October 26th, 2013 at 06:57 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: I can't log into my user after messing with drivers.

Please see here :
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...z/+bug/1166765
    Comment #11 may have a workaround, if the following line is indeed the one to look at
    Code:
    compiz (core) - Error: Plugin 'opengl' not loaded.
    Edit : Oh, I see you fixed it
    | My old and mostly abandoned blog |
    Linux user #413984 ; Ubuntu user #178
    J'aime les fraises.
    Nighty night me lovelies!

| Reinstalling Ubuntu ? Please check this bug first ! |
    | Using a ppa ? Please install ppa-purge from universe, you may need it should you want to revert packages back |
    | No support requests / username changes by PM, thanks. |
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thank you for your help anyway. I searched and searched, tried every solution I found, for many hours. Then I finally decided to ask for help here and right after that I typed the magical search terms and the solution appeared (can't even remember which exact search terms I used). This is some Murphy's Law or something. Happens to me all the time...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by AleveSicofante View Post
    Thank you for your help anyway. I searched and searched, tried every solution I found, for many hours. Then I finally decided to ask for help here and right after that I typed the magical search terms and the solution appeared (can't even remember which exact search terms I used). This is some Murphy's Law or something. Happens to me all the time...
    Eheh, happens to everyone all the time !
    Once you've worded out and written down your problems, poof, light comes in. Not only with computer issues, btw
    | My old and mostly abandoned blog |
    Linux user #413984 ; Ubuntu user #178
    J'aime les fraises.
    Nighty night me lovelies!

| Reinstalling Ubuntu ? Please check this bug first ! |
    | Using a ppa ? Please install ppa-purge from universe, you may need it should you want to revert packages back |
    | No support requests / username changes by PM, thanks. |
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]