Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I give up!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I give up!

I have been reading the threads like the ones below, and as a casual user of 5 year experience with computers, I really am afraid for my beloved Xubuntu.

So, I am going to hedge my bets and install different distros with Xfce DE's, to become familiar with them, before things start changing/breaking (if they do).

https://bugs.launchpad.net/mir/+bug/1149581

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2127165

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2158180

There have been many other related subjective articles/blogs/threads I have read, too. Those are only examples.

I'm not reading them anymore, though doing so has been enlightening. I am going to use my limited time with my computer learning other things. I don't like worrying.

We'll see what washes out in the wash.

Plan:

Two new drives.

SSD = for booting and installing different distros, root installs.

Larger Platter = for data partition to symlink with the root/mnt/ installs.

'tis going to be fun!
    Last edited by mikodo; July 9th, 2013 at 06:46 PM. Reason: Report plan to post.

Beans

Re: I give up!

I would not worry about Mir, for Xubuntu I doubet it will effect aanything.
    Same with Kubuntu.
    Ubuntu itself will still probably ship x, Mir will take some time to adopt.

Beans

So, I am going to hedge my bets and install different distros with Xfce DE's, to become familiar with them, before things start changing/breaking (if they do).
    Or wait to actually see some braking and then act. That could be sane strategy IMO too.

Beans

Mir has not even become out of the door yet either, like I said I doubt it will break anything right off.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by mikodo View Post
    I have been reading the threads like the ones below, and as a casual user of 5 year experience with computers, I really am afraid for my beloved Xubuntu.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/mir/+bug/1149581

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2127165

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2158180

There have been many other related subjective articles/blogs/threads I have read, too. Those are only examples.

I'm not reading them anymore, though doing so has been enlightening. I am going to use my limited time with my computer learning other things. I don't like worrying.

We'll see what washes out in the wash.
    Try going to the next Xubuntu dev meeting - see what get's talked about there, jono is coming at the beginning to discuss Mir.

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/xu...ly/009043.html

It gets logged as well - so you can catch up later if you can't make it

Beans

Nothing wrong with, and probably most sane, learning more than one distro. Ubuntu is brilliant at getting people into linux but there is much more out there to play with.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by EgoGratis View Post
    Or wait to actually see some braking and then act. That could be sane strategy IMO too.
    Exactly. I see the same with Kubuntu. There are a lot of politics and drama involved in the current discussion which could make you think your desktop is going to explode any minute now But for everyday users it's not that *buntu will suddenly stop working tomorrow. Just see from version to version if it still works.

@mikodo
    Your profile says you are running 12.04 so you should be safe untill april 2017

monkeybrain2012 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans

I totally understand though I like Unity, so I have more reasons to worry than you do (xubuntu is probably not going to switch to Mir anytime soon) The roadmap is kind of crazy from what I see now. They are going to default to xmir and with x fallback (hopefully it works!) in 13.10 and remove x fallback in 14.04 LTS.

I hope the roadmap is just for setting goals and rallying the troops and they will be more pragmatic and sane at actual release time instead of forcing something half baked on a LTS and killing Ubuntu's dispaly and reputations. That happened before, they promised feature x in release y and then there was no x when y came out, they deferred it to release y + 1 and then y + 2 because they couldn't get x in good working shape. If that could happen with something relatively trivial like scopes and lenses it would be more likely to happen with something vastly more complicated like the display server.

If 13.10 doesn't work out my fallback is 12.04 (it is kept very up to date with the newest kernel and software from ppa and self compiled) and/or Fedora, which I have gotten to be very comfortable with and can do most things I do in Ubuntu if with a little more work.
    Last edited by monkeybrain2012; July 7th, 2013 at 09:11 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

mikodo
    I must agree with mJayk.
    Ubuntu is brilliant at getting people into linux but there is much more out there to play with.
    I've continued testing other XFCE distros, looking for stability and compatibility since first installing Xubuntu (won't discuss my opinions here, as I have no desire to debate them). The three listed below have all exhibited OOTB stability and functionality on all the systems I've tried - including the desktops. The only issue I ran into was with wifi in Vector Linux which was related to driver installation. But did get it working. Due to the varying levels of experience in the circle of users that rely on my assistance, I prefer Saline. But, I suggest one try numerous candidates before limiting their focus to any particular distro.

SalixOS
    SalineOS
    VectorLinux

One of, if not the best part of Linux IMHO is - choice.

Good Luck
    "All change is not growth, as all movement is not forward."
    Ellen Glasgow

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Euroman View Post
    Your profile says you are running 12.04 so you should be safe untill april 2017
    Thank you everyone, for the responses and advice.

It is a thorny subject on the display issue. I spent a little time on #xubuntu-devel talking with some of the devs. So, upstream Xfce is not leaving Xorg. It appears to remain undecided, if Xubuntu will use XMIR (or presumably, stay with Xorg for now).

@ elfy This next #ubuntu-devel meeting with Jono Bacon, is promised to be interesting. Thanks, for the tip.

@ Euroman Xubuntu 12.04 LTS is for 3 years, as they deviated from the other flavors. (FYI) Maybe Xubuntu will stay with X11 with Xubuntu 13.10 & 14.04 LTS, which would give it at least another 3 more years of X11 after that, if not 5 more years this time. I read on Kubuntu Forums, that they are going with X11 on 13.10 and 14.04 LTS and then hope to use Wayland, after that.
    Last edited by mikodo; July 8th, 2013 at 05:34 AM. Reason: add stuff about Kubuntu

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast