Thread: geforce3 ti 200

Beans

Question geforce3 ti 200

i know this card is really, really old, but it's all i have atm.

i have read a few threads (old threads) about this and i downloaded the drivers mentioned in one of the posts, but i got some error about the kernel and the extraction failed...

old thread:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=912485

i know on windows 7, i could get 1280x768 and a couple that were higher, but on ubuntu i get 800x600 and thats it. is there something i can do? i really like ubuntu and i don't wanna go back to slug windblowz...

in additional drivers, i have nvidia_current activated, but it'd not in use.... there are two more nvidia packages in the list but when i click activate i get an error: system error: E:unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

the package that is mentioned in that old thread, i couldn't get installed. i purged the nvidia stuff and reinstalled it all, found that suggestion in a thread on here, somewhere... O_O

forgot to mention im on ubuntu 12.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: geforce3 ti 200

I would contact Nvidia and explain my problem. They might suggest a particular driver that works with this card. Once again, good luck.

Beans
    Distro

Try booting into Ubuntu Classic or Ubuntu 2D to see if that makes a difference. Those are options when you click on the Ubuntu logo before signing in. You might automatically be on a modern card setting. I've installed Ubuntu on many many computers, including a very old A30p IBM Thinkpad built in 1997 and Ubuntu has recognized all video cards without a problem. I'm surprised that you're having one with this card. It might help to post under "Instalations and Upgrades" to get comments from more experienced users. Good luck!

Beans

im on xubuntu now, i thought maby, just maby it would work... lol

when i try to install NVIDIA-Linux-x86-96.43.07-pkg1 i get this...

No precompiled kernel interface was found to match your kernel; would you
    like the installer to attempt to download a kernel interface for your kernel
    from the NVIDIA ftp site (ftp://download.nvidia.com)?

i hit yes a few times and then i get something about the instlation failing...

i have a feeling what i will get if i go to nvidia asking about a card thats older then dirt...lol
    Last edited by k1l14; July 19th, 2013 at 07:07 PM.

Beans
    Distro

You'd be surprised how techies think. I was sent obsolete material free once. Take a chance....

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

This says you need the 96.43.xx driver for Linux. The newer drivers probably just do not work.
    Legacy drivers.
    http://www.nvidia.com/object/IO_32667.html
    For info on UEFI boot install & repair:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to close thread when/if answered completely.

Beans

@gerryb: i went ahead and asked the folks at nvidia, still awaiting a response. i hope i can get this resolved, because this is my only complaint.

@oldfred: thats the package i tried, i guess i need a kernel? i have no clue how to find one let alone compile one... O_O

i messed around with xrandr and i actually got 1280x768 added, but when i set it to output i got a blank screen and had to reboot... ;0(

gonna keep my fingers crossed that i don't have to use that dreaded win7 disc again....