Thread: Dell Latitude c840 12.04 LTS wireless connectivity problems

Beans

Smile Dell Latitude c840 12.04 LTS wireless connectivity problems

Manages to get 12.04 LTS installed. I know it's an old laptop, but it was a freebie and I'm using it to try to learn. Granted, I seem to have 588 updates to wade through and I'm not positive I'm making any headway there, but that's another problem...

It seems connecting wireless is a common problem. It clearly sees my network, just asks to authenticate every few minutes and doesn't successfully do so.

I really did try to work through some solutions here, but I'm just not smart enough yet with this stuff to confidently proceed.

I did do the following commands:
    dmesg | grep twl
    rfkill list all

And got:
    0: phy0: Wireless LAN
    Soft blocked: no
    Hard blocked: no

Will anyone take pity on me and try to help - I'll do my best!

thx

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Dell Latitude c840 12.04 LTS wireless connectivity problems

Can you please post the output of the following to identify the wireless hardware:
    Code:
    lspci -nnk | grep -iA2 net
    an output of ifconfig would also be nice.

Beans

lspci -nnk | grep -iA2 net02:00.0 Ethrnet controller [0200]: 3Com Corporatoin 3c905C-TX/TX-M [Tornado] [10b7:9200] (rev 78)Subsystem: Dell Device [1028:00d5]Kernel driver in use: 3c59xAs for the ifconfig command, can you tell me a way to save the output to some sort of text file so I can try to put it on a flash drive to get from that laptop to this desktoip? It's a lot to type and I might make a mistake,

Beans

You can redirect the output to a file:
    http://www.tuxfiles.org/linuxhelp/iodirection.html

Example:
    Code:
    lspci -nnk | grep -iA2 net > somefile
    This will save the output of the command to the 'somefile' file in your working directory.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by DeweyDecimator View Post
    Code:
    lspci -nnk | grep -iA2 net
    02:00.0 Ethrnet controller [0200]: 3Com Corporatoin 3c905C-TX/TX-M [Tornado] [10b7:9200] (rev 78)
        Subsystem: Dell Device [1028:00d5]
        Kernel driver in use: 3c59x
    As for the ifconfig command, can you tell me a way to save the output to some sort of text file so I can try to put it on a flash drive to get from that laptop to this desktoip? It's a lot to type and I might make a mistake,
    Thanks for the output, but that only shows info about the ethernet card - nothing about the wireless.
    If plugging a cable is an option, that would solve the copy/pasting problem.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mikewhatever View Post
    Thanks for the output, but that only shows info about the ethernet card - nothing about the wireless.
    If plugging a cable is an option, that would solve the copy/pasting problem.
    I've owned 2 of these machines, but it's been 5 or 6 years ago. Almost positive it has a Broadcom in it.

Beans
    Distro

DeweyDecimator,

Either your output in post 3 is incomplete, or your wireless adapter is on a usb bus. To cover that, as well as to redirect the output to a file, please do -
    Code:
    lspci -nnk | grep -iA2 net > wifi.txt
    lsusb >> wifi.txt
    This will save the outputs (instead of showing them on screen) in a file "wifi.txt" in your Home directory.

But even better would be to download and run "wireless_script" as mentioned in this post, and post back the "wireless-info.txt" file it generates.
    Last edited by varunendra; July 8th, 2013 at 08:32 AM.
    Varun
    Help others by marking threads as [SOLVED], if they are. (See how)
    Wireless Script | Use Code Tags