Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: An open letter to new users from a previous new user. :)

Beans

Cool An open letter to new users from a previous new user. :)

Open letter to newbies.
    At first everything new seems strange. Keeping an open mind is essential. Try to be patient with others AND with yourself.
    With Ubuntu I haven't found anything that couldn't be fixed provided the correct search term was used. Search terms are free, you can use as many as you like, either in your favourite web browser or at the top right of these pages.

After a short while you find you have become conversant with how things work (and still you don't know everything but you are great at 'search').
    You find that problems can be easily resolved (they probably weren't problems at all, you were maybe just unfamiliar - we've been there).
    One day you find that you are completely at ease in your new environment. You realise that you don't have to know everything and if you need some help with something it's okay, you know how to work through things.
    It takes a little time. You can pass that time with a degree of frustration or take it in good spirit and not get phased. Eventually, with a little luck, you still feel Life is good.

I had a few frustrations at first but from experience I knew that I was probably half of the problem.
    Now if I get a problem I know it's of my own doing 99.999% of the time. Even being this dumb I can still do anything I want with Ubuntu.

Please note how few previous posts I've made - that's because it doesn't add on how many times I used 'search'.
    Last edited by Glynnux; July 5th, 2013 at 10:02 PM. Reason: edited to brag about my 15 post count.

Beans

Re: An open letter to new users from a previous new user. :)

Great advice

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Good post, indeed.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Biggest frustration I've had with Ubuntu, is actually on these forums, where people seem to assume you will know how to use the terminal, like a seasoned pro.. Ahh do this, type in that, sudo this, sudo that and everything will be alright. I came to Ubuntu from years of using Windoze , where almost everything is done for you. Download the file, click install. Make a cup of tea, and 5 minutes later the program's installed. Perhaps it's me being lazy, or preferring things to be done automatically (that's made me lazy) . Asking some questions on here ( at times) seems to meet with a terminal response (which isn't what most users want to hear) . I think most new users have probably came here from a Windoze background and are quite apprehensive of opening a terminal and typing anything in the window that opens.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Sometimes OP's advice is difficult to follow, especially when desktop screenshots are posted by those with greater knowledge. I found myself tripping over my own eagerness on many occasions as I tried to make my Ubuntu look like their Ubuntu. Eventually, I settled on 13.04 with Unity and weathered many a storm until I had a reliable, stable and attractive system. I also agree that the search function is one that all noobs should become familiar, as is simply reading lots b4 asking... although asking questions should never be discouraged.

Having said that, I am about to once again ignore my own good advice (if it ain't broke, don't try and fix it) and head off to the realm that I know as Gnome Hell. Seems I never learn.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Cool Re: An open letter to new users from a previous new user. :)

I found this blog post and thought it fit this thread perfectly: A Linux Hitchhiker

Last edited by Peripheral Visionary; July 7th, 2013 at 02:31 AM.

Beans

The reason a lot of fixes and other things are given in CLI is it is simpler. there are many different flavors and DE and each is or can be a bit different to do things in.
    for instance in my house i have 6 different flavors running on 5 different computers . i have 2 apps i install on everything i use CLI to do it and they install the same on all of them. so anyone using one of the flavors i use i can just give them the commands and tell them just copy and paset these into the terminal one at a time. then bobs your uncle. (and have my best so far is a complete install of zorin with extras
    over the phone 2400 miles away.) no poke this prod that stand on your left foo and slide that thing then click 4 times.

It has been brought to my attention that we as adults make things far to difficult for our selves. Back around easter i gave a laptop to the 11 year old son of a friend. The child was having problems in school
    primarily reading and attention. I installed edubuntu on it and sent it off.

I was online with his Mother on cam the day it arrived. She unpacked it set it up and showed him how to log in and where to find a couple things. He never looked back. the rest of the day she and i watched him play games and explore the different things available. He had home work to do on line during his vacation, she had set a time of no less than 1 hr a day. By the second day he had his laptop he was asking to do 2 and 3 hrs. He had also discovered he could make a screen saver in one of his games and had made one.
    We were facinated and spent many hours just watching him discover new things.

When was the last time any of us just sat down and played with an OS ? We just want to get it up and going.
    The only dumb question is the one not asked.

In service to the Dream

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Well said Glynnux! I too have traveled this road has many or most here have. The better I get with search and the better I get with Ubuntu the less trouble I have. The kicker is I have far less trouble in Ubuntu than I did with the major paid for OS.
    Why aren't you on #ubuntuforums on irc.freenode.net?
    Answers and Howtos

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Ditto to having some folks talk over my(our) head when they try to explain stuff. Now I know how others feel when I try to talk firearms or cars/trucks to them. LOL.
    I understand it's easy to assume that others know what you know when you try to explain things to them but such is not the case most of the time. Many of us need "Baby Steps" in doing things with or to our computers. Even I need a basic approach and I've got a Tech Degree from DeVry and a CAD/Detailed Drafting Degree from TN. Tech AND I took an A+ Cert course a few years ago but I still need things explained to me in simple terms.
    I too like a computer to do what I tell it, that's why I like Linux. Windows Op Systems always try to tell you how you're going to do it but with Linux you can go to Terminal and with a few simple commands you tell your computer what's going to take place.
    For me Ubuntu 12.04LTS is about as easy as it gets for an Op System. Heck, I'll even go so far as to say that I like it better then OS X 10.3.9 that I used on my (now dead)iMac and I thought it was pretty intuitive but Ubuntu 12.04LTS is even more so. I don't understand why so many complain about Unity, I like it. Of course I've not used a Non-Unity version so I've got nothing to compare it to but for me having everything I need at my finger tips on the dock on the left of the screen is pretty nice IMHO.
    Something else I really like about Linux is that it'll run on older, less expensive computers. Unlike Windows bloated Op System that needs tons of RAM and a ultra fast processor to make it work, Linux can run on any decent single core with a couple GB's of RAM. That means I can actually afford to buy a laptop or desktop for a couple hundred that'll actually work quite well using Linux. I'm diffidently sold on Linux, it'll be my Op System of choice from here on out. Anyway, that's my 2 cents worth.
    "Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Hi TNFrank,

I think you have a point about overly technical responses - I know I do it. Where possible I try and explain what the commands I type out will do.

I will say though that Ubuntu Forums has for a long time been the best linux forum for community, and it's why I keep comming back. In my early days back with debian potato, being the new guy really was like being a dumba** at the gate of nerdvana - almost any irc/mailist/forum question was met with 'read the manual'... we've come a long way.

I do understand that command line instructions are daunting - we've all been there, but as stated above, it is often the best system to use for trouble shooting remotely - it means you know exactly what the person at the other end has done, where it's stopped working, they can paste failed commands and reports, and usually shortens solutions by a couple of pages. when a user is really adament not to use the CLI I always try and help get them through it, but it is rarely easy, besides, we're a huge community now - if someone posts risky commands, another user will flag it almost immediatly

Don't worry we've all been there. I remember there was a thread in the cafe a year or so ago - 'what was your first ever post?' not relevent on UF, but I still know what my first ever question to a mailing list was;
    "I'm following the partitioning guide to the letter, but I keep getting an error about mountpoints" I went on to ask about what I was supposed to mount where, what /home, /boot, /, all meant etc - I didn't have a clue! just remember everyone here once upon a time had never held a mouse

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast