Thread: Laptop Battery - Desktop Mode?

Beans

Laptop Battery - Desktop Mode?

On my dual-boot Dell Inspiron, there's a feature installed in the Windows partition that is supposed to extend the life of my battery (as in long-term, not how long it takes to drain) by only charging when the power gets below a certain point. Apparently it's not good for the battery to be at 100% all the time. I can't find the Ubuntu equivalent of this in the power management section of the system tools - does Ubuntu do this automatically, or is there something I should install? I usually have my laptop hooked up to a power source, using it as if it were a desktop, so it would be good to know that my battery isn't being damaged in any way.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Re: Laptop Battery - Desktop Mode?

This is an excellent question, I'm going to keep an eye on this thread. I too use my laptop as a desktop replacement so it's hooked up to AC pretty much all the time. I did unhook it yesterday and use it to run the battery down, only took about an hour to drain it down to 10% so I think the old battery in my laptop is toast anyway but still, it would be nice to know if there was a way to help restore it so it'd last longer when unhooked.
    "Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"

Beans

Re: Laptop Battery - Desktop Mode?

Yeah, I guess that's all the more reason for me to figure this out Mine still gets around 3 hours, which is what it got when I bought it, but I still want to be careful.

I tried installing laptop-tools (3rd party), but that caused my computer to stall anytime it was unplugged, so that's a no-no.