Thread: Printing to PDF

Beans

Unhappy Printing to PDF

Recently I updated to the newest version of Ubuntu. Well, now I am having problems. Seems every time I update, something stops working!

I was always able to go to File/Print/print to file (pdf or postscript ) Now when I try to do this, my laptop still goes thru the motions. Drop down menu works, printer dialog box opens. I can click on "print", it shows a progress dialog but then when I go to my desktop folder --- nothing is there!

I have no idea what is wrong. This happened once before and by total accident it started working( nothing Ubuntu Forums suggested did any good ) I suddenly was able to print TO pdf files. In an earlier thread, people misunderstood what I was saying. I can print pdf files. I just can't print AS a pdf file ( to one of my folders ). Evidently something is missing. I have both cups and hplip installed. I have no idea what is missing. I'm not a newbee to Ubuntu been using it for six years! However I am not a computer geek. I know the basics, but am not a programmer. I can follow instructions if someone gives them. I know I cannot expect perfection, when something is free for all to use. I do like it when things work however. Printing to file for me, seems like a basic function. I also had problems at first printing pages, but now that works fine. So I guess my question is, why can I print out a page, but not print it to file? This is the only way I can save my bank statements ( the bank only offers them in Microsoft Money format ) and also sometimes I like to save a page for future reference. This is what I use that option for. I would post screenshots, but evidently drop down menus etc, do not show in screenshots.

Please do not reply with smart remarks. Too many times here on Ubuntu I get condescending remarks. Maybe it's the age thing, but I really have no use for smart alecs!

Beans

Re: Printing to PDF

I'm not a computer geek either, but running 13.04 PDF's are saved in ~/PDF
    CloudRck.com - Host on CloudRck
    I sponsor open source projects and support users of such technologies. PM for details

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Perhaps the resulting .pdf files are being placed somewhere other than where you're expecting? I think by default they're placed in the user's directory. You'd need to specify Desktop, Documents or where ever.

Beans
    Hidden!

Code:
    sudo find * -ctime -1 -type f
    will show all the regular files at the current directory and in subdirectories, that were created within the last day (24 hours).

So if you open a terminal window at your home directory and run that command, you are likely to find your pdf file (which may or may not have the pdf extension).

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by KWS48 View Post
    I would post screenshots, but evidently drop down menus etc, do not show in screenshots.
    Try doing this with Gimp, I attach a screenshot to demonstrate. I have taken a full screen snapshot and asked to include the mouse pointer, Cropped the final image and there it is...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Beans

OK, thank you!
    I found my missing pdf files. As someone mentioned they are in pdf which I only found when I clicked on View/Hidden Files. Never thought to do that. Duh! However that does bring up something else which I will post another thread on. The fact that in 13.04 there is no search files feature! Or if it's there somewhere it's not showing anywhere!

Beans

How do I mark this SOLVED?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

edit the 1st post go to advanced and change the prefix (where you pick ubuntu/ubuntu/kubuntu/etc)
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post