Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to point my domain, to my DNS.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

How to point my domain, to my DNS.

I am trying to set up a DNS for my domain, which well then handle all of my domains. I am currently stuck because I do not know how to point ns1.mydomain.com and ns2.mydomain.com to the DNS server ip address.

if I set up ns1.mydomain.com and ns2.mydomain.com for the nameservers for mydomain.com obviously that isn't going to work because it will never resolve (unless there is something that I am missing).

My registrar is GoDaddy, and a bit(or a ton) of Googling led me to this: http://support.godaddy.com/help/arti...meservershosts

I have done what it asked, but I am still confused about it. Is setting the hosts in GoDaddy going to completely bypass the GoDaddy DNS. The reason I ask is because it states that it will automatically create the A records, which (unless I am completely lost) shouldn't be necessary because any sort of necessary A record would have to be done on my end with my DNS server.

Thanks in advance for breaking this down for me,
    Daniel
    Last edited by The Titan; July 5th, 2013 at 06:10 AM.
    Your Ubuntu User number is # 29334
    My Blog: http://iamdanhenry.com/

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Re: How to point my domain, to my DNS.

Doesn't godaddy have a way to manage DNS records? There shouldn't be any reason to run your own name servers.

Read this:
    http://support.godaddy.com/help/arti...r-domain-names
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans
    Distro

They do and it works fine. But I want to run my own DNS.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by The Titan View Post
    They do and it works fine. But I want to run my own DNS.
    Any reasons for wanting to do it yourself?
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I am trying to set up a DNS for my domain, which well then handle all of my domains. I am currently stuck because I do not know how to point ns1.mydomain.com and ns2.mydomain.com to the DNS server ip address.

if I set up ns1.mydomain.com and ns2.mydomain.com for the nameservers for mydomain.com obviously that isn't going to work because it will never resolve (unless there is something that I am missing).

My registrar is GoDaddy, and a bit(or a ton) of Googling led me to this: http://support.godaddy.com/help/arti...meservershosts

I have done what it asked, but I am still confused about it. Is setting the hosts in GoDaddy going to completely bypass the GoDaddy DNS. The reason I ask is because it states that it will automatically create the A records, which (unless I am completely lost) shouldn't be necessary because any sort of necessary A record would have to be done on my end with my DNS server.

Thanks in advance for breaking this down for me,
    Daniel
    The hosts that godaddy asked you to setup are known as a glue record.

Glue records are served by a non-authorative nameserver so that it does not result in an impossible condition (i.e. using the dns servers for the domain to lookup a nameserver on the same domain).

Essentially, they point towards the IP Addresses that you set in the godaddy tutorial
    Ubuntu Forums Moderation Staff
    Okay then. We're relying on mirror dust and fairies but now we have a plan which is progress - Emma

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesA View Post
    Any reasons for wanting to do it yourself?
    Mainly just to learn about how it all works. I have always found, that for myself anyways, it is the best way to learn. I have the means I just need to knowhow. Surely some can relate.

Quote Originally Posted by sandyd View Post
    The hosts that godaddy asked you to setup are known as a glue record.

Glue records are served by a non-authorative nameserver so that it does not result in an impossible condition (i.e. using the dns servers for the domain to lookup a nameserver on the same domain).

Essentially, they point towards the IP Addresses that you set in the godaddy tutorial
    Thank you SandyD. Just to be clear, that does solve my problem. By setting the glue records to the IP of my DNS and setting the DNS for my domain to my name servers I should be set, correct?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Mainly just to learn about how it all works. I have always found, that for myself anyways, it is the best way to learn. I have the means I just need to knowhow. Surely some can relate.

Thank you SandyD. Just to be clear, that does solve my problem. By setting the glue records to the IP of my DNS and setting the DNS for my domain to my name servers I should be set, correct?
    If your running your own DNS server, make sure you aren't creating an open relay.

If you are talking about pointing the domain towards the DNS servers, yes.

You will also need to set a A record in the domain's DNS for the nameservers
    Okay then. We're relying on mirror dust and fairies but now we have a plan which is progress - Emma

Beans
    Distro

To check that everything is fine you can use a tool like ZoneCheck, just put your domain name in the "Zone" field and click "Check".
    「明後日の夕方には帰ってるからね。」

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Bachstelze View Post
    To check that everything is fine you can use a tool like ZoneCheck, just put your domain name in the "Zone" field and click "Check".
    I am still waiting for it to work. I did it a about 5-6 hours ago, and I know things like that can take a long time. GoDaddy estimates 24-48 hours, but they say that about changing DNS servers too and it has never taken that long for me.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I am still waiting for it to work. I did it a about 5-6 hours ago, and I know things like that can take a long time. GoDaddy estimates 24-48 hours, but they say that about changing DNS servers too and it has never taken that long for me.
    what domain is this? (pm or post in thread)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast