Thread: Dual Boot Problems

Beans

Dual Boot Problems

I have two Hard Disks, a 1TB and a 500GB in my custom build. I split the 500GB in to two 250GB partitions, then installed Ubuntu on to one of them first. I then installed Windows 7 on the other partition. Now when I boot up it doesn't boot in to GRUB it boots straight in to Windows without any options. How can I make it boot back in to GRUB?

Thanks, James.

Beans

Re: Dual Boot Problems

Windows can cause some problems when installed after another OS. Try Reinstalling Ubuntu on the partition you want it on. That may solve your problem. I don't know how to fix it if that doesn't work.

Beans

It would be ideal if there was another way to maybe purely reinstall GRUB instead of Ubuntu as I have a very slow connection and installed a lot of updates. Also, I have files on there which I wish to keep, I could run the live disc and transfer the files but I'd rather not.

But thanks for the help!

Beans
    Hidden!

Yes, you can reinstall Grub from your Ubuntu CD.
    If nobody helps you now, wait for me a few hours until I get home.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by SirDelder View Post
    Windows can cause some problems when installed after another OS..
    In fact, Windows will definitely cause this problem when installed AFTER Linux. It just overwrites the MBR (Master Boot Record) with its own, and obviously doesn't/can't detect Linux to include it in its boot menu.

Fortunately, the fix is easy enough. If you don't want to go into hassle of commands, just use Boot-Repair to reinstall Grub on the MBR : http://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair

It will return you the Grub menu which will give you the option to boot either Ubuntu or Windows.
    Varun
    Help others by marking threads as [SOLVED], if they are. (See how)
    Wireless Script | Use Code Tags

Beans

OK, I didn't think about that. Here's a link to the steps:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Re...tallingWindows

[edit] Sorry, I didn't see someone had already posted the answer while I googled it.
    Last edited by SirDelder; July 3rd, 2013 at 08:21 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Support question.

Thread moved to General Help.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans

yep , i keep a copy of the boot repair disk handy anytime i do an install. usually to fix the resolution out of range issue.
    The only dumb question is the one not asked.

In service to the Dream