Thread: Cannot reach desktop

Beans

Cannot reach desktop

Hello, I am completely new to linux and have succesfully (I think) installed Ubuntu 13.04 on a seperate partition on my laptop (I usually run windows 8). When I boot I am asked to choose my OS, and when I choose Ubuntu I am brought to
    grub>
    I've tried all sorts of commands (boot, startx) but nothing seems to get me to the desktop. Please help
    *I should mention that when I try "boot" an error tells me that I need to start a "kernel" first
    Last edited by lemonwire; July 3rd, 2013 at 11:40 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Cannot reach desktop

grub gets loaded before Linux, so you aren't into Linux at this point. It is a boot loader. Something about your install got screwed up.
    There are Win8 dual-boot instructions here somewhere. If you have UEFI, I think there are extra steps necessary.
    Google:
    * ubuntu uefi
    * ubuntu boot repair
    for more help. The links that point back to the Ubuntu.com or some other ubuntu* domain are what you want.

While others will probably disagree, I think new-to-linux users should stay with LTS releases. That would be 12.04 in your case. Non-LTS releases are simply not as polished and do not have enough support time (in years). E.i. patches end in about 1 yr, while the LTS releases get patched for 5 years. Big difference.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Cannot reach desktop

Hi, are you currently running with UEFI enabled or disabled?

try running Boot-Repair on a livecd, and see if it allows you to boot.
    Ubuntu Forums Moderation Staff
    Don't waste your energy trying to change opinions ... Do your thing, and don't care if they like it.