Thread: Cannot reach desktop

Beans

Cannot reach desktop

Hello, I am completely new to linux and have succesfully (I think) installed Ubuntu 13.04 on a seperate partition on my laptop (I usually run windows 8). When I boot I am asked to choose my OS, and when I choose Ubuntu I am brought to
    grub>
    I've tried all sorts of commands (boot, startx) but nothing seems to get me to the desktop. Please help
    *I should mention that when I try "boot" an error tells me that I need to start a "kernel" first
    Last edited by lemonwire; July 3rd, 2013 at 11:40 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Cannot reach desktop

grub gets loaded before Linux, so you aren't into Linux at this point. It is a boot loader. Something about your install got screwed up.
    There are Win8 dual-boot instructions here somewhere. If you have UEFI, I think there are extra steps necessary.
    Google:
    * ubuntu uefi
    * ubuntu boot repair
    for more help. The links that point back to the Ubuntu.com or some other ubuntu* domain are what you want.

While others will probably disagree, I think new-to-linux users should stay with LTS releases. That would be 12.04 in your case. Non-LTS releases are simply not as polished and do not have enough support time (in years). E.i. patches end in about 1 yr, while the LTS releases get patched for 5 years. Big difference.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Cannot reach desktop

Hi, are you currently running with UEFI enabled or disabled?

try running Boot-Repair on a livecd, and see if it allows you to boot.
    Ubuntu Forums Moderation Staff || SandyDNET
    Twitter: @CatchesAStar | Last.fm
    Ubuntu Membership via Forum Contributions