Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Autochecking of the file-system is switched off

Beans

Autochecking of the file-system is switched off

Hi everybody,

I think since Precise, autochecking the automounted filesystems is switched off. I checked in an installed instance of Saucy recently, and it was still installed without autochecking.

Is this intentional or has somebody overlooked it? After all, there is a sharp warning about it in tune2fs. See the details at the end of this post.

I usually set maximum mount count to 30, and I suggest that we switch it on in Saucy, maybe with a higher number, for example 50, or set a check interval for example once a week or once a month.

sudodus

Code:
    sudo tune2fs -l /dev/sdf3
    Mount count: 5
    Maximum mount count: -1
    Last checked: Sat Jun 15 11:39:05 2013
    Check interval: 0 (<none>)
    Code:
    man tune2fs
    -c max-mount-counts

Adjust the number of mounts after which the filesystem will be checked by e2fsck(8). If max-mount-counts is 0 or -1, the number of times the filesystem is mounted will be disregarded by e2fsck(8) and the kernel.

Staggering the mount-counts at which filesystems are forcibly checked will avoid all filesystems being checked at one time when using journaled filesystems.

You should strongly consider the consequences of disabling mount-count-dependent checking entirely. Bad disk drives, cables, memory, and kernel bugs could all corrupt a filesystem without marking the filesystem dirty or in error. If you are using journaling on your filesystem, your filesystem will never be marked dirty, so it will not normally be checked. A filesystem error detected by the kernel will still force an fsck on the next reboot, but it may already be too late to prevent data loss at that point.

See also the -i option for time-dependent checking.

Beans

Re: Autochecking of the file-system is switched off

I think it was very annoying to have to wait for the auto checking. I'm happy to do it manually, when I have time for it. And I think file system corruption happens very seldom nowadays.

Beans

I'd be happy to be reminded by the old auto checking. You could skip it pressing a single key. So I will try to get it working again.

Beans

Yes, we can use tune2fs to activate autochecking, but I think many people, particularly newcomers, do not know about it. I think it should be active from the installation. As you wrote pixig, it is quite easy to skip it if you are in a hurry (and let the computer check the drive next time).

Roten, do you know if there is evidence, that the autochecking is no longer worth waiting for?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

On Saucy right now, but I turn on FSCKFIX=YES in /etc/default/rcS on most Ubuntu installations.

Beans

Thanks for the tip

How does FSCKFIX=YES relate to the setting that can be viewed and changed with tune2fs (for example to check after 30 mounts)? Is it completely unrelated or is FSCKFIX=YES the same as setting 'Maximum mount count'=1 ?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

There's some explanation of it here. Basicly it runs fsck non-interactively, but (as far as I know) it doesn't change the frequency you set with tune2fs. If you have ext3 or ext4 partitions mounted in fstab you might need to adjust the pass order too.

Beans

Thanks again But I don't quite understand. Is there always a simple test nowadays (initiated from /etc/default/rcS) independent of the frequency set with tune2fs?

I ask because at least the slow checking set with tune2fs is definitely switched off (with -1) when I install new versions of Ubuntu. There will never be any such checking until I change the setting. There might be some fast checking, that I do not notice during startup.

Could it be the difference between using the option -f or not (-f to force checking even if the file system seems clean)?

Code:
     sudo e2fsck <device>
    and
    Code:
     sudo e2fsck -f <device>

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I don't know, though I believe there is a quick check on each boot which you'll notice if you set up a text boot. I hope someone more knowledgeable will chime in.

Beans

I think so (about a quick check) and hope so (that someone more knowledgeable will chime in) too. But who will stand up and declare her/him self to be more knowledgeable than you

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast