Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Zsnes freezing midgame

Beans

Re: Zsnes freezing midgame

I'm running into this problem too. I ran strace on the hung process; looks like it's hung up in some sort of deadlock:

Code:
    futex(0x9851848, FUTEX_WAKE_PRIVATE, 1) = 0
    futex(0x9851848, FUTEX_WAIT_PRIVATE, 2, NULL) = -1 EAGAIN (Resource temporarily unavailable)
    futex(0x9851848, FUTEX_WAIT_PRIVATE, 2, NULL) = -1 EAGAIN (Resource temporarily unavailable)
    I'm not really familiar with that system call nor how ZSNES uses it but hopefully a package maintainer can help.

Beans

I've kept this hung process alive for a while to do a little more testing. In case you're coming in from a search engine, there's a bug report for this on LaunchPad at:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...s/+bug/1214241

I don't know that they provide a zsnes package with debug symbols in it, and I didn't have debug symbols for SDL at the time of execution, but nonetheless through GDB I can see that zsnes is hung up in a call to SDL_SemPost():

Code:
    (gdb) bt
    #0  0xf76daec4 in SDL_ThreadID () from /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libSDL-1.2.so.0
    #1  0xf7696290 in ?? () from /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libSDL-1.2.so.0
    #2  0xf768d46b in SDL_SetError () from /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libSDL-1.2.so.0
    #3  0xf76db26a in SDL_SemPost () from /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libSDL-1.2.so.0
    #4  0x08303862 in ?? ()
    #5  0x08303ae6 in ?? ()
    #6  0x083006d1 in ?? ()
    I checked out the zsnes source code from that project on SourceForge, and there's only two entry points in that code for SDL_SemPost() in `src/linux/sdllink.c`. I don't know if that helps anyone working on the problem, but maybe it will. That code hasn't changed in years officially (maybe 2007? -- I can't remember), so I wonder if it's changes in the sdl1.2 packages or if Debian/Ubuntu introduced a patch for zsnes since 12.04 -- by the responses on this post between 2.2ubuntu5 and bz2-5ubuntu2. I couldn't find Ubuntu's patches for this so I can't elaborate much.

I think SDL is zsnes's preferred method of software rendering so I wonder if switching to alternate means of rendering will avoid the problem.

EDIT:

Well, at least according to ZSNES's video config I was using OpenGL. I guess maybe they are still using SDL's thread management for cross-compatibility.
    Last edited by paulkilgo; February 24th, 2014 at 03:17 PM. Reason: update

Beans

This has got to be the ???th time I've seen this bug reported. I've worked with this and other versions (up to 14.04 LTS) and they ALL have this bug unresolved. I think the testers and the bug handlers either think 1) Everything is fine because they don't see the problem because they don't spend enough time testing it (needs to be running for 30min+ on the average, idle or not) and/or (this is the one I believe) 2) The problem is too insignifigant and too subtle to fix, and zsnes appears to work 'just fine' on the surface or for any demo of the product. It's like having a cheeseburger with flies in the middle, and only showcasing the outside of the burger... MMMM!!!

PS: Almost forgot this part, yes you are right it IS sdl's fault, in fact it's a library in sdl that got switched out in the 12.10->13.04 cycle, and since then, if you didn't have the foresight to 'freeze' it, you will suffer this problem. They did manage stop it from crashing but now it just freezes up later... not really a fix.
    Last edited by osirisgothra; September 1st, 2014 at 07:16 PM.

Beans

Why dont you use snes9x-gtk or retroarch? I havent had your problem on Kubuntu 14.04 with zsnes

Beans

i tried higan/bsnes at first, but there were problems with the sound of the games using this emulator, especially in fullscreen-mode (slow and stuttering sound).

zsnes works perfectly for me, except that it crashes during playing a rom after a while. in fullscreen mode, the screen freezes and there's a annoying sound (infinite loop of a short audio sample). there's nothing i can do except from rebooting.

i did a little test today: i wasn't loading any roms at all and the emulator crashed in the main menu in window mode after 36 minutes!

btw, i'm on Linux Mint Debian Edition. i'm using the latest zsnes version (1.51).

Edit: i switched to snes9x and it seems to work quite well i found a gui for that emulator called snes9x-gtk, my gamepad was recognized, and it runs in fullscreen without any sound problems so far. at first it complained about the missing library libpng14.so.14, and i found a file libpng14-14-1.4.11-2.5.1.i586.rpm in the internet, and then after a simple

sudo alien -i libpng14-14-1.4.11-2.5.1.i586.rpm
    it worked fine so finally everythings ok
    Last edited by kanteock; September 26th, 2014 at 04:41 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

The bug is still present in Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS Trusty. zsnes will randomly freeze in mid-game. To avoid loosing saved data I suggest to enable Check SRAM+Save in the Config -> Saves menu. This will make the emulator write the data as soon as the game modify it and not when you exit the emulator (which will never happen if it freezes).

From zsnes docs at SourceForge:
    SRAM Check+Save
    Normally, ZSNES will write SRAM data to disk when you exit the emulator or exit to the GUI. When this option is enabled, ZSNES will instead write SRAM data shortly after a game modifies it. If you have problems with in-game saves not working correctly, or if you fear something may prevent ZSNES from exiting normally (i.e. crashing), turn this on. The reason this is not enabled by default is because some games use SRAM as working memory instead of for persistent saved games. Since these games constantly modify SRAM, ZSNES would write to the disk every few seconds (if this option is enabled).

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by adec2 View Post
    Why dont you use snes9x-gtk or retroarch? I havent had your problem on Kubuntu 14.04 with zsnes
    I've been running Snes9x on my Ubuntu 12.04 box for some time now and it works perfectly.
    However, I did try to install and run it on my sisters Ubuntu 14.04 box and it froze. It also wouldn't work when I upgraded my system to 14.04 lts.
    This is one of a few reasons why I went back to and why I'm sticking with 12.04 - have to have my Super Mario games - LOL.
    Last edited by michael-piziak; January 18th, 2015 at 07:45 PM.
    I am what I am because of who we all are.

Check out my photos at: http://www.piziak.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12