Thread: Question regarding kernel panic and Live CD

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Question regarding kernel panic and Live CD

I have a dual-boot Ubuntu 12.04 machine that was running rock solid for months. Today it started to give kernel panic repeatedly (sorry, did not have time to gather more info but can tomorrow) and would not stay booted for long. I tried to reinstall with a Ubuntu 12 Live CD and had the same problem. What I would like to know is this: is this a sure sign that the problem is hardware related? I mean, if both the installed OS and the CD are both having the same issue with kernel panic?

I am asking because this computer has a long history of Windows viruses and I was wondering if maybe files on the HD were damaged even on the Ubuntu partition or mbr. Was just wondering if someone could point me in the right direction before I start diagnosing the problem tomorrow. I will try to get the owner working on a USB install of Ubuntu and I have a feeling the problem is the HD in the computer but I'm not sure at this point if it is hardware or software and not sure if the Live CD accesses any files on HD such as temporary writes to drive.
    Last edited by Jaraxle; July 4th, 2013 at 03:45 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Question regarding kernel panic and Live CD

Certainly sounds like hardware. Had you done anything prior to this? An update/upgrade?

Beans
    Distro

No, the user had been browsing the web/email for days without rebooting. I was using the computer to try to download the Win 7 iso from Microsoft when the problem started. Thought it was a one time thing, maybe because the file was so large, and was surprised when it kept happening. Seems to have come out of nowhere.

I will get more info on the error.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Sounds like bad RAM. Try taking one stick out and see if that helps. If it doesn't help, put the stick back in and take out another one, etc, until the problem goes away.

Beans
    Distro

I tried your suggestion and it turns out it was the RAM. Ubuntu is now running very stable and fast again, even with half the RAM. Thanks guys.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Please mark thread as solved by following the link in my signature.