Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SIlverlight, Moonlight, and Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

SIlverlight, Moonlight, and Ubuntu

One of my last graduation-required classes is an online-only classes with only Silverlight®-formatted video-lectures, which my Ubuntu 13.04 cannot play. (I tried asking if they had other formats, but they had none.)

Apparently, a program called "Moonlight" was developed for Linux systems, but has been abandoned. Nonetheless, I went to http://mono-project.com/Moonlight, which brought me to http://www.go-mono.com/moonlight. But, that brings me:
    Code:
    403 Forbidden
    Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /moonlight on this server.

Apache/2.2.22 (Ubuntu) Server at www.go-mono.com Port 80
    Are the Mono™ people still together? I sent them an e-mail requesting for access to the installation file, but are they still together? Just in case, does anyone here have a copy of the file I can use?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you for your time.

Take care,
    RedStarYellowSun

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: SIlverlight, Moonlight, and Ubuntu

I can't answer your question about the project team.

But I've had experience with moonlight and Silverlight-formatted files.

If they're created with the latest version of Silverlight, moonlight won't play them.

Unfortunately, and it's probably not what you want to hear, you need to use Silverlight in Windows if you want to access these files.
    Please, people, remember to BACKUP before you install that new system. Same if you're upgrading.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by Irihapeti View Post
    I can't answer your question about the project team.

But I've had experience with moonlight and Silverlight-formatted files.

If they're created with the latest version of Silverlight, moonlight won't play them.

Unfortunately, and it's probably not what you want to hear, you need to use Silverlight in Windows if you want to access these files.
    Thanks for the reply.
    I'll use the public computers, then.
    Thanks again.

Take care,
    RedStarYellowSun

Beans

Did you check http://www.go-mono.com/mono-downloads/download.html ?

However: don't expect it to work. Silverlight-with-DRM is what they use, and that's not available on non-Microsoft systems.

Workarounds:
    - ask the content providers for an open site, using HTML5 or flash
    - install WinXP in a virtual machine, and access the site from WinXP
    - if there is an Android App for the site, use an Android device (or emulator) to access the content

Beans

I also decided to try moonlight yesterday, all the moonlight links give 403 forbidden and all the moonlight-x packages have been deleted from Ubuntu repos? (Moonlight was in the repos for older ubuntu versions like 10.x, but now they show they've been deleted).

Anyone know what's going on? Microsoft has probably found some way to sue Moonlight devs and forced them to remove everything or something Must be some very sensible reason like "it hurts our Windows sales", which is ofcourse illegal in their opinion.

I don't know why Silverlight is still being used, even Microsoft is ditching it..

I just registered for an online billing site for my company and for some crazy reason it uses Silverlight, already sent them an angry email

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet

Moonlight stopped development two years ago . Siverlight , also wasting away , has proprietary packages that Moonlight could never include because it was open source and the license prohibited that . That is why Moonlight never worked with certain media or websites. It was not a matter of Moonlight being out of date it was crippled to begin with.
    Infinite diversity in infinite combination.

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Manual

Beans

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Slightly old thread, but since it's been bumped already I think I should mention Pipelight, which claims to allow the playing of Silverlight videos in the browser.
    Please mark your thread as solved if you get a satisfactory solution to your problem.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by evilsoup View Post
    Slightly old thread, but since it's been bumped already I think I should mention Pipelight, which claims to allow the playing of Silverlight videos in the browser.
    Thanks Evilsoup! I was searching everywhere for a solution to this. Moonlight didnt work for me because it doesnt support the newest versions of silverlight. I am also trying to get my online schooling going and it is only in silverlight. Pipelight worked for me, there are some formatting issues but everything seems to be working. Thanks again!

Beans

Pipelight works fine for me, I use it to watch online TV from the Belgian cabletv provider Telenet.

You can find install instructions here
    http://fds-team.de/cms/articles/2013...-browsers.html

To install, use following ppa and instructions
    Stop Firefox
    sudo apt-add-repository ppa:ehoover/compholio
    sudo apt-add-repository ppa:mqchael/pipelight
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install pipelight

Start Firefox and install the Firefox addon UACONTROL and set the browers agent for http://yelotv.be to IE8

After this, firefox reacted very slow and often freezed, after a reboot Firefox works normally and it is now possible to watch TV via http://yelotv.be

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast