Thread: salvage Ubuntu from W7 recovery

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

salvage Ubuntu from W7 recovery

I have a dual boot acer aspire and Ubuntu is fine. W7 got very sick and can't start and goes into a recovery console.
    it has two options: factory reset and save personal files. obviously the second one is my choice.

Q: what is the best way to proceed so as to save the Ubuntu partition (even grub maybe)?

I only use W7 to run tax software, but I really need to run that software.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: salvage Ubuntu from W7 recovery

Thread moved to Ubuntu, Linux and OS Chat.

Reason: Not Ubuntu support request.

Beans

I'd back up the data in ubuntu. I was looking at my EeePC recovery disk and found where the script tells the partitioner to build a new partition table on the drive, which may destroy the ubuntu install. If it doesn't destroy the ubuntu install, then you may only have to install the grub boot loader, https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Re...tallingWindows
    Cheers & Beers, uRock
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

Looks like you're asking how to fix the Win7 problems but save off Ubuntu in the process, right?

To save off Ubuntu, I would download a burn a CD of Conezilla, boot from that (with an external drive connected) and use Clonezilla to image Ubuntu off to an external drive. Using Clonezilla is a bit tricky because , unlike other image/restore apps, you have to enter the destination FIRST.

Do you have any kind of Win7 CD that came with the Acer? If so, then boot from that and look for an option to Repair Win7. If you have that option, run it three times -- that's right, three times -- and see if that fixes the Win7 boot.

IF you don't have such a CD, then try using Boot-repair: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair

If neither of these work, it's possible more got damaged in Win7 than the boot loader filesw. If you have full install media (win7 DVD, not CD), you should then visit the Windows 7 forums (sevenforums.com) and read through their tutorial on how to do a repair install -- which will leave your apps, settings, and data intact.
    Ubuntu 20.04, Mint 19.10; MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Thread moved to General Help.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

@stephenbbb: Your previous post has been deleted. Please be aware, from the forum's Code of Conduct:

Material that suggests illegal activity or contains illegal content is also forbidden. We do not support circumventing TOS, EULA, etc here. Such threads will be closed and offending users will be penalised with infractions and warnings.
    In this instance, a heads up only.