Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Getting ready for the install....

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Getting ready for the install....

Quote Originally Posted by enduser79 View Post
    I tried to utilize the Update Manager in order to install 12.04, but ran into the following error:

I will try to download it manually......stay tuned.
    Yeah, running an upgrade from 10.04 to 12.04 will be difficult. Much better to download and do a fresh installation.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by cub View Post
    Yeah, running an upgrade from 10.04 to 12.04 will be difficult.
    Why? LTS is designed for upgrade to the next LTS. Has been like this for awhile, you don't have to upgrade through the interim releases to get there. 10.04 upgrades directly to 12.04, no difficulty about it, in theory. Upgrading through Update Manager can be problemmatic, though, regardless of what release you're upgrading to.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by SuperFreak View Post
    Ubuntu 10.04 is no longer supported so you will not get any security or other updates. I would suggest before you get too far with 10.04 you instead install ubuntu 12.04 which is supported till 2017 (Download available HERE. You will find instructions HERE

Many many thanks again!!

I was able to burn the ISO and boot from the disk. I installed 12.04 and it's running. I then went through some updates and rebooted.

I then installed the xRDP so I can manage this machine from a Windows terminal.

Beans

Ok, I was able to share a folder and move files between the server and my Windows terminal.

2. I like the way you can tell the OS to "grab" a package and install it, beats searching for the EXE in Google, example:

sudo apt-get install wireshark

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Glad you got your issue solved and you're loving Ubuntu! Please mark thread as solved by following the link in my signature and post back with a descriptive title, plenty of info, and in the appropriate category for any further issues/questions. Good luck.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12