Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FP languages

Beans

FP languages

Hello, I need help in deciding which functional programming language to study.

I would like to learn a functional programming language, for the pleasure of it and to learn about the FP paradigm (I already know imperative and object oriented).
    I normally work with C/C++ and write physical simulation programs or some mathematical code, although occasionally I write thousands of lines of code to handle the inputs to my programs (a lot of checks to be sure to never run a useless simulation because of some human error in typing the inputs). It would be nice if I could also use the FP language to speed up some parts of my work, so I'd like for it to be compatible with C/C++ in an easy way (I am not sure if it could even be an issue these days, but just in case...).

I read the newest "old threads" about functional programming, but they were mostly about FP vs OO vs Imperative or they did not motivate why one FP language instead of another. I would really appreciate if you could motivate with some detail the reason behind your FP language suggestion, because, thanks to the wiki, I already know a lot of names, what I lack is the reason they "came to be" (their "specialization" or reason for lack of thereof - what they are "best" for).
    Also if you could specify how "popular" the language is, I would be grateful: I sometime have to deal with programs written by others, so if, by chance, I could already know the language someone else chose for his program, it would be an unexpected, but much welcome, bonus (as previously implied, I work in a physics department).

Last note: I would prefer a purely FP language (I read that I could use Python or C++ as functional programming languages, i.e., I am not interested in that).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: FP languages

ECMAScript/JavaScript?

Beans

If you want 100% FP, without even the possibility to get imperative programming, then, Haskell or Clojure. Both are reasonably popular, i.e. you may not find as many jobs for Haskell or Clojure as for C, C++, Java, Javascript, et al., but you'll definitely find a lot of resources on the web for learning it.

Beans

I read about Clojure and compared it to what I knew about Haskell. Beside the Java thing, which is no use to me since I will hardly move from C/C++ for performance reasons, the thing that hit me the most is the macro system from LISP, which should be the feature offered by Clojure under that very same name. From what I read Haskell has a GHC extension to allow metaprogramming, but somehow I feel, correct me if I am wrong, that for that I should use something more LISP-esque than Haskell.

Allow me to extend the questions in the first post (more suggestions on those are still welcome): is Clojure the best thing to learn if what I am interested in is to understand the power behind LISP macro system for metaprogramming?

P.S.
    Haskell seems to be nearer to the academia needs and is purely functional, which should force me to really understand the paradigm, thus I am opting for that as a first one, but the LISP macro thing kinda hooked me up.

Beans

I would also recommend learning Haskell. It forces you to think in a completely different way, which (for me) has been fun and also has improved the quality of code I write in imperative languages. I don't know Clojure, though. I think for getting started with FP, it probably doesn't matter which you pick.

> From what I read Haskell has a GHC extension to allow metaprogramming, but somehow I feel, correct me if I am wrong, that for that I should use something more LISP-esque than Haskell.
    I think you should wait until you have a reasonable grasp of one FP language to start worrying about this.

Beans

I would also recommend Haskell if you want to force yourself to program purely functionally. However, if you want a less steep intro, I'd recommend Scala (like always). As far as functional programming features go, I can't think of any that haskell has that scala is missing.

A question for the Haskellites in this thread, does haskell have dependent types, or just agda?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Dirich View Post
    I read about Clojure and compared it to what I knew about Haskell. Beside the Java thing, which is no use to me since I will hardly move from C/C++ for performance reasons, the thing that hit me the most is the macro system from LISP, which should be the feature offered by Clojure under that very same name. From what I read Haskell has a GHC extension to allow metaprogramming, but somehow I feel, correct me if I am wrong, that for that I should use something more LISP-esque than Haskell.

Allow me to extend the questions in the first post (more suggestions on those are still welcome): is Clojure the best thing to learn if what I am interested in is to understand the power behind LISP macro system for metaprogramming?

P.S.
    Haskell seems to be nearer to the academia needs and is purely functional, which should force me to really understand the paradigm, thus I am opting for that as a first one, but the LISP macro thing kinda hooked me up.
    Your goals are a bit mixed up, I thinl. If you all you want is to tackle Lisp macros, go for the more traditional Lisp dialects, i.e. Common Lisp and Scheme, and just avoid whatever that is imperative. There's a little problem with this, though: Common Lisp macros are the more traditional Lisp macros than the ones Scheme has, but the language is more complex and avoiding imperative idioms may be a bit hard. Scheme, on the other hand, makes it quite easy to avoid imperative idioms (avoid anything named with a trailing "!", like set!, delete!, etc.), but its macros are of a completely different type than Common Lisp ones... FYI, the latest Scheme specs (R6RS) uses a quite interesting syntax pattern matching that is a bit more complex than the direct symbolic manipulation in CL. Another additional problem of Scheme is that implementations are very different to each other because the specs are really minimal (23 keywords only!)... I'd go for PLT Scheme, as it supports R6RS (MIT/GNU seems to be stuck on a weird R4RS/R5RS mix).

Of course, you can learn both CL or Scheme for their macros and Haskell for hardcore, math-like FP.

Beans

I would have to interject here that I am not particularly sure that the idea of some language "forcing" you to do things in certain ways is a good thing, if some other language lets you approach the problem that way but does not necessarily force the point. Haskell is certainly "pure", but Lisp is more general-purpose and teaches you a lot of other interesting things about programming that Haskell can't, as its approach is so completely geared towards programs-as-pure-expressions... by all means do use Lisp pure-functionally to your heart's content if that is what you wish.
    LambdaGrok. | #ubuntu-programming on FreeNode

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I'd recommend Clojure. It has plenty of useful features and libraries for building useful things, and you can use any Java library very easily as well.

If you don't like Lispy languages, then I'd use OCaml. It's got nice syntax, a phenomenal compiler (compiles very fast binaries, can also compile to OCaml bytecode, JVM bytecode, to Javascript, LLVM, etc...), and a great feature set.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

+1 for Haskell
    You will learn to approach problems differently. There are many ways to solve problems. I absolutely hated haskell when i started it, i was very much an imperative programming kind of person. Now learning how to solve issues with Haskell or Prolog then and the kind of problems which can be solved, i think Haskell would be an excellent start.

Just a word of caution. Its not quite like C/C++/Java/JS/PHP/C#/Python whatever... it will take a bit of getting your head around but you will be a better programmer for learning it or at least understanding it.
    Uses: Jaunty J 9.04 & Maverick 10.10

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast