Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Awesome Just Awesome

Beans

Post Awesome Just Awesome

Have been away from Linux for over a year but after having tried 12.04 I am simply blown away. Easy and quick to install on a t420. Wireless was instantly working, Nvidia drivers readily available, and CS:Source running just great without any headaches or hiccups. I honestly did not think this sort of ease and lack of frustration was available in the Linux world for a setup such as I desired.

Many thanks to the developers of Ubuntu 12.04!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Awesome Just Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by mortalcs View Post
    Have been away from Linux for over a year but after having tried 12.04 I am simply blown away. Easy and quick to install on a t420. Wireless was instantly working, Nvidia drivers readily available, and CS:Source running just great without any headaches or hiccups. I honestly did not think this sort of ease and lack of frustration was available in the Linux world for a setup such as I desired.

Many thanks to the developers of Ubuntu 12.04!!
    I recently tried out 12.04 and then upgraded to 13.04 and have loved it, as well. Was super-happy to see the amount of polish and ease of use in the Linux world. My desktop has been working utterly flawlessly, even using the proprietary AMD drivers for my Radeon 6800.

On my laptop, the experience was a little more difficult. On the HP Envy Touch, there were lots of issues with drivers and whatnot that were popping up. In 12.04, my wireless wasn't wasn't recognized. In 13.04 the wireless was recognized, but was full of display issues. I honestly expected it, tho, because the machine has only been out a few months. I imagine it'll get caught up and be supported more.

It really has been a great overall experience, other than the problems with my laptop. Oh, and finding a USB Wi-Fi adapter that works easily. That's been relatively tricky, but I blame the manufacturers and their Linux support.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Gnawnsense, Amazon has loads of USB wifi devices that advertise Linux compatibility. Even if you don't buy from Amazon you can check out models there.

Beans

Besides if you have a Android device you can use it as a wi-fi adapter also.
    I use it on my PC when plugged on the living room TV, an it works great.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I have not used Ubuntu since 10.04 but after reading a lot of positive reviews of 13.04, I am currently installing it to dual boot alongside W8. I can't wait to see all the improvements that have been made.

Beans

I haven't used Ubuntu for some time, or at least, not used the mainline Ubuntu release. I ended up shopping around and discovered a lot of marvellous operating systems, many of them based on Ubuntu.

I recently set up a new hard drive and decided to give Ubuntu 13.04 a shot. I quite liked 12.04, 12.10, but not enough to use them. I started a thread a while ago about how awesome 13.04 is, but then never installed it. I just ended up playing with it live. This was enough to see how far it had come on, but I chickened out of taking the plunge back into Ubuntu.

This has changed recently, and I decided to give it a proper go. It's now fully installed and updated, with pretty much all my favourite stuff up and running how I like it. And I have to say it has seriously wowed me. There's clearly been a ton of work done on making it more stable. I haven't had so much as a hitch or a glitch, beyond Nvidia causing its usual problems with the boot screen which happens with every distro. But what has really surprised me is the speed. A lot of reviews have focused on negativity, such as why is X feature missing or Y functionality. To me, I'd take the compromise of system improvements and speed gains over rushing new features in, and the decision to hold back new stuff to solidify Ubuntu and Unity has paid off imho.

How nice it is to be back on Ubuntu. Really missed it, and it's nice to be back in my occasional cheer leader role.
    AMD Phenom X4 945, 4Gb Crucial 800Mhz DDR2 RAM, 1Tb SATA III HDD, AMD Radeon R7 250X [Oibaf]

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet

Welcome back, BigSilly to ubuntu....yeah ubuntu 13.04 IS quite awesome
    I ran 12.04 then 12.10 prior to it and i also have to say that 13.04 is the best yet...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

My experience with 12.04 on my laptop has been very good this time around too. The LTS has really matured well! I gave the propriety ATI drivers another shot a couple of days ago, staying with the 3.2 kernel and so far things are working great! Everything is working just like I want and Unity is really working out well on my laptops smaller screen. I really enjoyed getting everything set up the way I wanted it and I will most likely stay with 12.04 on my laptop until it reaches end of life. I am keeping an open mind about running the next LTS but I will give it time to mature before I make any decisions about running it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Thumbs up Re: Awesome Just Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by mortalcs View Post
    Have been away from Linux for over a year but after having tried 12.04 I am simply blown away.
    Although mainly a Kubuntu user these days I have, for this weekend only, decided to use Ubuntu 12.04. It's working so well that I'm now considering using it on a regular basis. For now I've finished with always using the "latest and greatest" or current development release.

For Kubuntu I'll probably always use the latest release but for Ubuntu I'll probably just use the latest LTS. It works. Period.
    I'm part of a small team that produce the Ubuntu Weekly Newsletter. We always need help, especially at weekends. Want to join us?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

I agree, I haven't used Ubuntu or any other linux distro for over a year and all I can say is that the new features are awesome!!!
    Hello..my name is Nono
    Linux User #415998

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast