Thread: Buying a WiFi would like to avoid problems

Beans

Buying a WiFi would like to avoid problems

I have a Gateway desktop with Windows 7 and Ubuntu 12.10. The internet connection is hard wired to a Comcast modem and the internet works great for both OS. My wife just received a tablet as a gift and would like a WiFi connection to operate it. What equipment should i buy that preserves my hard wire connection to the desktop and allows her to use the WiFi?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Buying a WiFi would like to avoid problems

You must have the older Comcast cable modem. That is what I have, but I understand the new equipment is a combination cable modem, wireless router and switch. Some suggest that it really is better to have each of those as separate devices as the location of the modem and switch may not be the best location for the wireless router which should be in middle of house.
    I have Comcast modem and a separate wireless router with 4 ports. But it is at one end of house and signal at other end just arely works. Just about any brand of wireless router should work, many have preferences.
    I have used a $20 budget router and it worked but had short range. My old Linksys -G worked well, but I upgraded to a newer dual channel -N. But I did not notice it was not dual channel at same time but all you could do was set for one or the other. But I again was being "cheap". You get what you pay for.

Many of the new ones have suggested house sizes or how well they really work and typically have 4 hard wired Ethernet connections so you can plug in your PC. The very newest is -AC which also has the -N and -G modes but very few if any current devices use the new -AC WiFi.
    For info on UEFI boot install & repair - Updated Mar 2015:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to close thread when/if answered completely.

Beans

Thanks for the reply. I will change this post to solved as soon as I know the wireless router is workingthe way I want it to.

Beans

Tried a Belkin N600 router and was unable to have the router connect to the internet on Windows 7. Did not even bother to try Ubuntu. Took the router back to the store and am not planning touse wifi in the house until some of these problems I see on this forum are lessened or solved.

Beans

Tried a Belkin N600 router and was unable to connect to the internet on Windows 7. Did not even try Ubuntu. Took the unit back to the store and do not plan on trying wifi again until some of these problems I see on this forum are solved and less of them appear.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I have used 3 different wifi routers, and many several hotels without issue. But the wifi in my laptop, just works.
    Iphone also just works.

Did you try liveCD, some hardware needs extra drivers which most often are downloaded with the Ethernet connect. Wifi does require some configuratin, but most now automate it with a DVD. With Ubuntu and using Firefox you do have to configure it manually.
    For info on UEFI boot install & repair - Updated Mar 2015:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to close thread when/if answered completely.