Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Amd64 vs i686 Pentium D

Beans

Re: Amd64 vs i686 Pentium D

Quote Originally Posted by uRock View Post
    +1 I installed lubuntu 32bit on my old Lenovo and it runs better that the 64 bit install did. That system only has 2 gigabytes of RAM.
    Compare compressing/uncompressing files, encoding/decoding audio & video, running encryption algorithms etc and you will see 64-bit wins by a big margin.

If you have a 64-bit system there's very little point in not running a 64-bit OS as it will perform better. The one downside is 64-bit will use more RAM and if you are short on RAM you will take a hit, 4GB however is plenty.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mips View Post
    Compare compressing/uncompressing files, encoding/decoding audio & video, running encryption algorithms etc and you will see 64-bit wins by a big margin.

If you have a 64-bit system there's very little point in not running a 64-bit OS as it will perform better. The one downside is 64-bit will use more RAM and if you are short on RAM you will take a hit, 4GB however is plenty.
    Well i installed 64 bit debian with xfce and it runs great. Makes me think people are too quick to upgrade their computers or there is some kind of conspiracy in the industry to keep people upgrading. But 3.4ghz dual core intel chip and 2gb ram for $110 shipped seems like a really good deal. Thanks for all the help
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mips View Post

I did mention I tested both and which one did better with the 2GB RAM, which is the MB's limit.
    Cheers & Beers, uRock
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12