Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Gnome Flashback, Clock

Beans

Re: Gnome Flashback, Clock

Quote Originally Posted by Cavsfan View Post
    I purged the file with SPM and then re-installed it and no changes.

I renamed .config/dconf/user to user.old and rebooted. It rebuilt the file but, nothing changed and they are both the same size - 22.2kb..
    Getting a new .config/dconf/user file is a little tricky due to some changes in 13.04+. If you do as you did you get the same one again.
    2 ways -
    Log in to another user account that can gain root privledges or boot to another install that either uses the same username or can gain root privledge. Then browse to that file & rename or delete, when you log back in to the account in question you'll get a new user file.

Easier - open system settings > keyboard > layout settings > Options > & enable 'key sequence to kill ..' as in screen
    Then go to .config/dconf/ & rename user to a bak. As soon as that is done kill X, re-login
    (the point is you want to kill X before anything new is written to dconf

Note: it's possible that with a new user file that you'll get the frickin unity launcher ect. when 1st. logging in to the new user file settings. If that happens go to .local/share & delete the "session_migration-gnome" file, then log out/in
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post
    Getting a new .config/dconf/user file is a little tricky due to some changes in 13.04+. If you do as you did you get the same one again.
    2 ways -
    Log in to another user account that can gain root privledges or boot to another install that either uses the same username or can gain root privledge. Then browse to that file & rename or delete, when you log back in to the account in question you'll get a new user file.

Easier - open system settings > keyboard > layout settings > Options > & enable 'key sequence to kill ..' as in screen
    Then go to .config/dconf/ & rename user to a bak. As soon as that is done kill X, re-login
    (the point is you want to kill X before anything new is written to dconf

Note: it's possible that with a new user file that you'll get the frickin unity launcher ect. when 1st. logging in to the new user file settings. If that happens go to .local/share & delete the "session_migration-gnome" file, then log out/in
    I booted into Raring and deleted the .config/dconf/user file from there and when I booted into Saucy I had the Unity panel. So I deleted the session_migration-gnome file and logged out and backin but, the Unity panel was still there. I even rebooted and it was still the same.

It had reset everything back to default: the wallpaper, the window buttons are back on the left and the top did not show Applications and Places, but I opened up CCSM and set that back as it was. I unchecked Ubuntu Unity Plugin and I think that may have triggered the change because it looks great now! I have the clock, volume, network and logout indicators back at the top right on the panel. Just have to move the buttons back to the right as I like them and change my wallpaper back like it was.

Ironically the login screen showed my wallpaper that I had before (that changed a few days ago from the default orangish login screen).
    But, I believe with your help mc4man It's working pretty well again with the clock and everything.
    Thanks a lot!
    Check Java Version | Install Java via WEB UPD8 PPA
    Creating a Custom Maintenance Free GRUB2 Screen Community Wiki
    Precise 12.04 | Trusty 14.04 | Vivid 15.04 | Mint Rebecca 17 | Windows 7 | All 64 bit

Beans

Re: gnome-panel crashing & resetting

Not sure then what I did, maybe I deleted all the migration files??
    Anyway it seems one needs to beware of when gnome-panel crashes, things could go south from there.

What you could do is once you're setup the way you like is copy .config/dconf/user somewhere. (& replace that copy every once & a while.

Then it something happens you can copy your backup to .config/dconf/ , ect.
    (just remember to do from another user/install or kill X right after copying.

One thing I have noticed is some of the defaults for gnome-panel in dconf seem wrong...

Beans
    Distro

Re: gnome-panel crashing & resetting

Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post
    Not sure then what I did, maybe I deleted all the migration files??
    Anyway it seems one needs to beware of when gnome-panel crashes, things could go south from there.

What you could do is once you're setup the way you like is copy .config/dconf/user somewhere. (& replace that copy every once & a while.

Then it something happens you can copy your backup to .config/dconf/ , ect.
    (just remember to do from another user/install or kill X right after copying.

One thing I have noticed is some of the defaults for gnome-panel in dconf seem wrong...
    Thanks again. I made a backup of it on my usb drive. It is messes up again I'll know what to to (maybe )
    Precise 12.04 | Trusty 14.04 | Vivid 15.04 | Mint Rebecca 17 | Windows 7 | All 64 bit

Beans
    Distro

You know mc4man, while this did restore the clock/date, logout buttons. network icon, etc. at the top right panel of Gnome Flashback.
    Everything seems to work well but, when I click on the logout button and then click restart it does absolutely nothing.

I still have to use the logout icon in Cairo Dock to actually reboot (or sudo reboot in terminal).
    It's just a phase though I believe. Things will be better towards final release. So, I guess it's nothing to worry about unless you know why it's doing that.
    Just thought I'd mention that as I have been wanting to but, the forum was down.

Beans
    Distro

The clock problem was fixed but, the shutdown, resart does not work at the top right in flashback. Thought I would do as you
    suggested mc4man and recreate the user file in .config/dconf/ I even created the shortcut to kill the x server.

So, I renamed the file and immediately stopped the x server, relogged back in and it was all Unity once again with everything set back to default
    until I fixed everything back in CCSM. Then I had to get the date and day back, my wallpaper, my icon theme and the windows buttons I had to move back
    to the right.

Yet still the only things that work are lock, which just takes you to the login screen, logout and suspend.
    Restart disappeared again shortly after purging and re-installing indicator-applet-complete. It did not work and neither does shutdown.
    I have to use the logout in Cairo Dock to restart.

Any one else still have this problem?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234