Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Gmail Notifier icon in Panel

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Beans
    2

    Gmail Notifier icon in Panel

    Hello. I have just installed Gmail Notifier (gm-notify).
    I get only the alter bubble but not the icon in the Panel.

    Any advice ?

    Thanks
    Last edited by sf84; July 1st, 2013 at 10:34 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    WI USA
    Beans
    9,929
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: Gmail Notifier icon in Panel

    The program description indicates it uses notify osd (alert bubble) and the indicator-applet. (vague) Is there a menu entry for the program ? I ask because sometimes show-icon is in preferences in programs that use the panel. I see two other notifiers for Gmail, but I am on Ubuntu.
    Infinite diversity in infinite combination.

    Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Manual

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Beans
    13,013

    Re: Gmail Notifier icon in Panel

    gm-notify hasn't been updated since 11.10 (quantal) & even there it's broken for new messaging menu. So I'd say it's no longer of much use except for the osd pop ups.
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...y/+bug/1040259

    Here I use unity-mail, both for online & thru thunderbird access to gmail. (doesn't seem to do osd or do osd very well but the indicator, ect. work fine.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Beans
    2

    Re: Gmail Notifier icon in Panel

    Thanks for your replies. gm-notify has a preference menu but there is no such option.

    I solved using Gmail Notifier (gmail-notify 1.6.1.1-2) and it works fine.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Brisbane Australia
    Beans
    713

    Re: Gmail Notifier icon in Panel

    Quote Originally Posted by sf84 View Post
    I solved using Gmail Notifier (gmail-notify 1.6.1.1-2) and it works fine.
    Unlike gm-notify which implements push notification, gmail-notify only checks for new mail periodically.

    FYI, I implemented my own very basic gmail indicator which uses push notification and works on Ubuntu 13.04. Very lightweight though and does not provide a gui.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Beans
    7

    Re: Gmail Notifier icon in Panel

    Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post
    gm-notify hasn't been updated since 11.10 (quantal) & even there it's broken for new messaging menu. So I'd say it's no longer of much use except for the osd pop ups.
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...y/+bug/1040259

    Here I use unity-mail, both for online & thru thunderbird access to gmail. (doesn't seem to do osd or do osd very well but the indicator, ect. work fine.
    I din't knew about unity-mail, so I decided to check.
    Just amazing!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    East Molesey (where?)
    Beans
    60
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

    Re: Gmail Notifier icon in Panel

    Quote Originally Posted by markbl View Post
    Unlike gm-notify which implements push notification, gmail-notify only checks for new mail periodically.

    FYI, I implemented my own very basic gmail indicator which uses push notification and works on Ubuntu 13.04. Very lightweight though and does not provide a gui.
    Thanks for this indicator. This works for me

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Beans
    2

    Re: Gmail Notifier icon in Panel

    I just installed the notifier from github, and I get the notify bubble, but it still doesn't show up in my messaging applet.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Beans
    2

    Re: Gmail Notifier icon in Panel

    update : I have no idea how/why but it suddently started working.

    Thanks!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •