Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: eth1 receives, no transmit.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

eth1 receives, no transmit.

I have 10.04 running on a school server. Things worked fine for 6 months, then eth1 stopped working so LAN has no web access. eth0 is dhcp from adsl router with range limited to 192.168.1.10. eth1 is static at 10.10.0.1 255.255.255.0 . I have made a couple of attempts to add network firewall, and suspect that ip tables rules have gotten messed up. I purged cherokee/apache and webmin. When the server initially starts, eth1 will receive ok and transmit a little, but then quickly shuts down transmit of packets. LAN hosts (windows) ipconfig /all lists no gateway and a 169...... ip number instead of 10.10.0.10-10.10.0.150.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: eth1 receives, no transmit.

Can you flush all iptables rules and see if that works? If it does then we can check what's wrong with your firewall.

Code:
    iptables -F
    iptables -F -t nat

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Good idea. FYI eth0 is working both ways. I have another project I'm doing to stream a live webcam feed from my laptop to our website. I have added a rule forwarding to eth0 this was required to get our LAN on eth1 10.10.0.1 to access the internet. I'm at home right now. nearly bedtime here (GMT +7 hours). I'll get on the server tomorrow. In the mean time what is the next step after flushing so I can report back with some results?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

If you are sure that the problem is caused by the firewall rules, post them here so that everyone can have a look:
    Code:
    iptables -L -nv
    iptables -L -nv -t nat
    If you have other working firewall rules which you don't want to loose, take a backup before you flush the rules:
    Code:
    iptables-save > rules
    To restore the saved rules:
    Code:
    iptables-restore < rules
    And after flushing the rules remember to add some required rules back. Otherwise internet access from LAN will fail. I forgot to mention this in my earlier post.
    Code:
    #flushing the existing rules
    iptables -F
    iptables -F -t nat

#Allow packets from eth1 destined to the server. Required for DHCP.
    iptables -A INPUT -i eth1 -j ACCEPT

#Allow forwarding
    iptables -A FORWARD -j ACCEPT

#Add the NAT rule
    iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o eth0 -j MASQUERADE
    With these rules in place you should be able to ping an IP address on the internet from a machine on LAN behind your server:
    Code:
    ping 8.8.8.8
    If that is working, then we can discuss building your firewall.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thanks very much. Yes, the rules you listed are there, currently. Obviously, I am not qualified to be a net-admin, but I'm all the school has at this point. Our biggest issues, now that the network is fairly reliable, is control of student access. At first I thought a firewall was the answer. After a long process of formatting public clients, and installing fresh OS, I've discovered Deep Freeze. I think it will go a long way towards cleaning things up. I also am looking at Apache/Cherokee mostly for traffic management. A lightweight firewall is certainly important too. Just trying to give a broader view, as it seems that there are compatibility issues between certain packages. I'l be at school in a few hours and do as you suggest, then post results.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Use UFW to setup firewall if you are not well-versed in iptables. Or GUFW if you need a GUI.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

done, and re-boot, but no change. BTW I also added eth3 which is currently named as the LAN interface in interfaces. I also entered

iptables -A INPUT -i eth3 -j ACCEPT
    I am actively receiving packets on eth3 from client, but after initial 14.1 bytes nothing is being transmitted. client is not getting ip

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

As our no-ip service also stopped, I did a port check on "can you see me" shows port 80 and 22 not open, although both are forwarded for tcp/udp in router

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Can you post your firewall rules here?

done, and re-boot, but no change.
    Try without rebooting after you make changes to firewall rules as per previous posts. Because the rules will not be saved automatically.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

As our no-ip service also stopped, I did a port check on "can you see me" shows port 80 and 22 not open, although both are forwarded for tcp/udp in router

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast