I'll just list up my needs so as not to waste anyone's time:
1) I am not building a NAS.
2) I am not a Gamer; I use my computers for work.
3) I just want on-line networked storage of my work (Develop educational materials and curricula for gifted students)
4) My work computers are Windows 7 64 bit Ultimate - no plans for any MS upgrades (I read a lot and therefore consider MS to have lost its way http://blog.zorinaq.com/?e=74 (succinct article)
1) Gigabit network - D-Link DGL-4100 Router, two Netgear unmanaged switches
2) Server: Corsair HAF case; Corsair 650/80 PSU, ASUS M5A97 EVO Motherboard; AMD 6-Core CPU; 16 GB Corsair RAM; Syba 6 GB/s 4-port SATA card; 128 GB Samsung SSD (OS); 5 X 3 TB Western Digital Caviar Green hdd's. (storage)
Note: I prefer WD Greens cause they power down when not in use - again not a traditional NAS that would require WD Reds.
Can anyone be kind enough to give me some links, etc. to get started?
Note: I have been building, repairing and using computers for business for 25 years - but only DOS and Windows; Certifiably ignorant when it comes to Ubuntu.
Thank you. I know you guys to be especially kind to fresh-faced Newbies.