Thread: Terminal for beginners

Beans

Terminal for beginners

Greetings all,

For s
    ome time now, I have been on Ubuntu DreamStudio 12.04 LTS. However, I'm still shying away from Terminal: I find it rather daunting, to be honest - a little intimidating even. But not really knowing how to handle Terminal makes me rather dependent on outside help, in case of more challenging faults occurring.

Any suggestions, perhaps, on where to find a simple, step-by-step manual (in plain English, preferably) that even a hopeless noob like me will be able to follow?

Thanks very much.

tnob

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Re: Terminal for beginners

tnob; Hi !

As often said, the terminal is nothing to fear ... it is a tool .. but as with any tool , to be respected.

Documentation is plentiful on the net. There exist much resource material. May I suggest that you start with the sticky available in the beginners' subforum on this forum.... explore the help contents available from the link in my sig and again .. Google is your friend.

You can not experience the power of ubuntu until you unleash the CLI ( Command Line Interface) !

just try'n to help
    THE current(cy) in Documentation:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PopularPages

Happy ubutu'n !

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Bashing-om View Post
    ... May I suggest that you start with the sticky available in the beginners' subforum on this forum....
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2015424
    Linux User #415691 Ubuntu User #8629
    Iowa Team (LoCo): [Wiki] [Launchpad] [Sub-forum]
    IRC channel: #ubuntu-us-ia on irc.freenode.net

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Click the "I want to tell you" link in my sig.

Beans

Thanks very much guys, for your assistance. That's a good beginning.

The main thing for which I'd need CLI is for repairing glitches, if and when they occur. So far, I have been heavily relying on external assistance for, if goings-on seemed to become rather complicated - in my eyes anyway - so I'm feeling pretty helpless on this front.

Any suggestions on making a start so as to gain some insight into the system's build-up? To me, this seems at the core of understanding Terminal.

To give an example: I have a slight problem with the desktop launcher, at the moment - but not a clue where (and how) to find Launcher on my system - in order to identify the nature of the glitch and to repair it.

tnob

Beans
    Hidden!

Save yourself some time and headaches by backup anything you intend to edit first.
    Make copies!