Thread: Deleting unity and installing gnome3

Beans

Lightbulb Deleting unity and installing gnome3

Hi, would anyone help to delete unity and install gnome 3 desktop environment ? I found something on the net but that didn't worked for me. Thanks in advance.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Deleting unity and installing gnome3

What did you try? Where did it not work?
    Using ubuntu software center, you can install gnome shell. This is the easiest aproach to switch to gnome shell rather than Unity. Alternatively, you can do a clean install of the Ubuntu-gnome edition to end up with a pure gnome 3 system.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

If you're on 13.04, the instructions here (http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2013/04/g...r-ubuntu-gnome) worked fine for me.

I don't recommend trying to uninstall Unity. Gnome Shell runs just fine without deleting it.

Many, many dependencies hang off Unity. Those will vary based on what you may or may not have installed on top of the baseline system. That's probably why online howto's about removing Unity are so problematic.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

gnome 3 is in the standard repo, just install gnome, no need to remove unity, I don't care much for it, but its nice to have in case gnome3 get weird or some extension breaks your system.

Beans

You don't need instructions. Just "apt-get install gnome-shell" on a standard Ubuntu installation and then select GNOME (= GNOME 3, i.e. GNOME Shell), or Ubuntu (= Unity) at the login screen. Try each for a while and see which you prefer.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

on 13.04 I had to do apt-get install gnome

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Whenever I want to install the gnome-desktops(because Ubuntu already runs all the gnome programs, as it's gnome based)
    I install gnome-tweak-tool(In the menu system it'll be called advanced settings)
    This installs the tweaker and the desktops.
    If you want to go a step further, you can even install gdm and use it instead of lightdm.
    http://askubuntu.com/questions/15225...lightdm-to-gdm

Anyhoo, deleting unity can cause more problems than most people would want.
    And the fact that it'll only be a dead program when not running will only make it the equivalent of the several other programs sitting on the system in similar states.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cybergalvez View Post
    on 13.04 I had to do apt-get install gnome
    I don't see why you "had to" do that? That pulls in a lot more packages than you need for gnome shell. Just "apt-get install gnome-shell" should work.