Thread: How can I crop and join two videos/images together?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Question How can I crop and join two videos/images together?

I want to make a video by combining the top part of one video and the bottom part of another video. One half is a static image but I can just record it and turn it into a video.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: How can I crop and join two videos/images together?

You will probably need video editing software for that.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Code:
    ffmpeg -i topinput.mp4 -loop 1 -i bottominput.png \
    -filter_complex '[1:v]crop=iw:ih/2:0:ih/2[btm];[0:v][btm]overlay=shortest=1:y=H/2[outv]' \
    -map '[outv]' -map 0:a -c:v libx264 -preset veryfast -crf 20 -c:a copy output.mp4
    The above will require a recent version of ffmpeg -- the version in the Ubuntu repositories probably won't work (and isn't ffmpeg anyway, but actually the avconv fork) because the shortest option to the overlay filter is fairly new. You can get a static build from the ffmpeg website, or follow this guide to compile your own.

-i topinput.mp4 -loop 1 -i bottominput.png means that you want to use topinput.mp4 as the first input, and bottominput.png as the second input (ffmpeg starts ounting from 0, so that's inputs 0 and 1); the -loop 1 tells ffmpeg to use the input image on an unending loop.

The first filter crops the video stream of input 1 (that is, bottominput.png), so that only the bottom half of it remains. The overlay filter then puts what is left over the video from input 0 -- y=H/2 means that the top of the overlay will be halfway down the video. shortest=1 means that it will stop when the shortest of the inputs comes to an end (which is good, because the image input is set to loop forever).

-map '[outv]' -map 0:a tells ffmpeg to use the output of the filter (which I explicitly labelled as [outv]) and the audio from input 0 in the output file. -c:a copy tells ffmpeg to copy the audio exactly, without any re-encoding. You can read about the video encoding settings I've put on the x264 encoding guide on the FFmpeg wiki.
    Last edited by evilsoup; July 1st, 2013 at 04:50 PM.
    Please mark your thread as solved if you get a satisfactory solution to your problem.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Thumbs up Re: How can I crop and join two videos/images together?

Quote Originally Posted by evilsoup View Post
    Code:
    ffmpeg -i topinput.mp4 -loop 1 -i bottominput.png \
    -filter_complex '[1:v]crop=iw:ih/2:0:ih/2[btm];[0:v][btm]overlay=shortest=1:y=H/2[outv]' \
    -map '[outv]' -map 0:a -c:v libx264 -preset veryfast -crf 20 -c:a copy output.mp4
    The above will require a recent version of ffmpeg -- the version in the Ubuntu repositories probably won't work (and isn't ffmpeg anyway, but actually the avconv fork) because the shortest option to the overlay filter is fairly new. You can get a static build from the ffmpeg website, or [url=http://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/UbuntuCompilationGuide]follow this guide to compile your own[url].

-i topinput.mp4 -loop 1 -i bottominput.png means that you want to use topinput.mp4 as the first input, and bottominput.png as the second input (ffmpeg starts ounting from 0, so that's inputs 0 and 1); the -loop 1 tells ffmpeg to use the input image on an unending loop.

The first filter crops the video stream of input 1 (that is, bottominput.png), so that only the bottom half of it remains. The overlay filter then puts what is left over the video from input 0 -- y=H/2 means that the top of the overlay will be halfway down the video. shortest=1 means that it will stop when the shortest of the inputs comes to an end (which is good, because the image input is set to loop forever).

-map '[outv]' -map 0:a tells ffmpeg to use the output of the filter (which I explicitly labelled as [outv]) and the audio from input 0 in the output file. -c:a copy tells ffmpeg to copy the audio exactly, without any re-encoding. You can read about the video encoding settings I've put on the x264 encoding guide on the FFmpeg wiki.
    Thanks! Not everybody takes the time to explain what all of that overcomplicated stuff means or even where to go to learn more about it.
    ...............I guess I could of googled about ffmpeg but google likes to throw a megagram of sites at us and I think that's why many people just give up on learning about computer stuff because of they just don't know where to start in the very messy pile of random links. I found out about WinFF.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

WinFF is good for simple tasks, but I don't think it's suitable for this kind of thing (because it's not designed to do these sort of editing tasks, being focused on the encoding side).

The best ffmpeg reference online is the ffmpeg wiki I linked in my first post. Other than that, this forum is actually pretty good (we've got a handful of people who really know what they're doing with ffmpeg), and superuser.com has a strong group of ffmpeg experts.

There's also an ffmpeg-users mailing-list, but I wouldn't recommend that unless you already know what you're doing a little bit (i.e. it's for intermediate and up users rather than complete newbies). I would put the official ffmpeg documentation in the same category -- worth reading once you've got the basics down, but a bit overwhelming for a new user.

But yeah, most of the information on ffmpeg out on the internet, outside of those sites, is a mixture of wrong and outdated.
    Please mark your thread as solved if you get a satisfactory solution to your problem.