Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can't launch magnet link in transmission

Beans

Can't launch magnet link in transmission

I have ubuntu 13.04 installed and am using firefox. I'm confused why i can't launch transmission as the app of choice. It worked fine on my previous installs. I couldnt find any information on the subject and this is my first time encountering it. I've already reinstalled both firefox and transmission to no avail. When hitting get magnet a box pops up prompting me to choose application. Normally transmission would be listed here. By searching for the application i can't find it. It doesn't show any applications to choose just files.

Beans

Re: Can't launch magnet link in transmission

I am having the exact same problem with a new install (New HD) of 12.04. Previously it worked fine on the same computer. I did install Deluge and that works on some sites but not all. Looking forward to help as I was just getting ready to post same issue.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Heinzelmannchen View Post
    When hitting get magnet a box pops up prompting me to choose application. Normally transmission would be listed here. By searching for the application i can't find it. It doesn't show any applications to choose just files.
    In the 'box that pops up' choose /usr/share/applications/transmission. You may have to select it manually. Tell us if that helps.
    "Evolution is Nature's way of issuing upgrades."

Beans

Heinzelmannchen, I am the person who posted he had the same problem and here's hpw I fixed it, at least it worked for me.

In Firefox click Edit then Preferences, go to Magnet and click on Use Other click on File System then "usr" then "bin" and find Transmission or Transmission-gtr. You can then set Transmission as default.

Hope it works for you as well.

Beans

A work-around (not a solution) is to drag magnet links from your browser window into an open transmission window.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by fantab View Post
    In the 'box that pops up' choose /usr/share/applications/transmission. You may have to select it manually. Tell us if that helps.
    clicked transmission-gtk.desktop and nothing happens

Quote Originally Posted by royph View Post
    Heinzelmannchen, I am the person who posted he had the same problem and here's hpw I fixed it, at least it worked for me.

In Firefox click Edit then Preferences, go to Magnet and click on Use Other click on File System then "usr" then "bin" and find Transmission or Transmission-gtr. You can then set Transmission as default.

Hope it works for you as well.
    Followed this and i only see transmission gtk not gtr. I don't know if that's the problem.

Beans

I've also tried the following unsuccessfully. I don't know what it is i am missing...

* Type about:config into the address bar and press Enter.
    * Right-click -> New -> Boolean -> Name: network.protocol-handler.external.magnet -> Value -> true
    * Right-click -> New -> String -> Name: network.protocol-handler.app.magnet -> Value -> /usr/bin/transmission
    * Ensure network.protocol-handler.expose-all is set to true

Beans

I just edit my ~/.local/share/applications/mimeapps.list by hand. Not very sophisticated but has always worked for me!

Beans

Still can't get these magnet links to work. I've tried multiple tutorials with no luck. I'm thinking a reinstall of ubuntu is my best bet at this point because i have no idea why they aren't working. Both transmission-gtk.desktop and deluge-gtk.desktop don't work.

Tutorial (similar to many responses)

Quote Originally Posted by markbl View Post
    I just edit my ~/.local/share/applications/mimeapps.list by hand. Not very sophisticated but has always worked for me!
    Mind telling me how to do that? I can only access ~/.local/share/ there doesn't seem to be an applications folder.

Do you guys recomend i try upgrading to ubuntu 13.1 and see if the problem persists?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Heinzelmannchen View Post
    Mind telling me how to do that? I can only access ~/.local/share/ there doesn't seem to be an applications folder.
    Create the directory and file. Copy the format from /usr/local/share/applications/default.list for the torrent entries. Uncle Google has a zillion links on this stuff.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast