Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu Gnome edition

Chanath is offline Extra Foam Sugar Free Ubuntu
    Beans

Ubuntu Gnome edition

Have you guys checked up the Gnome edition alpha? I find it working quite well in the GS session, but is quite weird in the "new" Gnome-Classic mode. The top panel is a mixture of Gnome shell panel and the Classic panel. You cannot right click it with Super+Alt pressed together to change or add anything. The bottom panel has the same problems.

I installed Gnome-shell in Ubuntu, and the GS version is better--quite responsive--than in the Ubuntu Gnome edition. But, there too is a problem in the Installed Gnome Classic panel. You can right click, but nothing can be added. Anyway, these are maybe teething problems.
    Last edited by Chanath; June 29th, 2013 at 05:10 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Ubuntu Gnome edition

I installed it yesterday. At first I thought my monitor was going out with the new colors of the login screen.
    Then after installing the xswat-edgers Nvidia driver, compiz and cairo dock things changed. When compiz started, both top and bottom panels disappeared.
    I even set compiz on a 10 second delay with a script and same thing happens. None of the minimize, restore or close buttons work on any windows at present.
    This is the same logging into Gnome and Gnome Classic.

If it weren't for Cairo Dock I would have no access to anything. Then when I tried to customize the grub menu; at bootup grub completely disappeared and booted directly into windows.
    I had to mount a live cd and do a grub recovery on another install. I do not recommaned any grub menu customization at this point with Saucy.

Perhaps some more tweaking will help.

Beans

It was much better to install Gnome shell to the stock Ubuntu, than downloading the Ubuntu Gnome-Edition. Even the Gnome-panel (Gnome Flashback) installation works quite well than to strange Gnome-Classic already installed in that. As far as Ubuntu repos are offering Gnome shell, I'd install it the future and won't bother to download the Gnome-Edition. To experience the Gnome shell, you just don't need an Ubuntu Gnome edition at all.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Taking compiz out by disabling startup fixed the min, restore, close buttons and brought the top and bottom panels back. But now no cube or cool stuff and Cairo Dock appears to hide behind the bottom panel.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Chanath View Post
    It was much better to install Gnome shell to the stock Ubuntu, than downloading the Ubuntu Gnome-Edition. Even the Gnome-panel (Gnome Flashback) installation works quite well than to strange Gnome-Classic already installed in that. As far as Ubuntu repos are offering Gnome shell, I'd install it the future and won't bother to download the Gnome-Edition. To experience the Gnome shell, you just don't need an Ubuntu Gnome edition at all.
    Yes, I did the same, tried Ubuntu Gnome-Edition first which barely worked for anything and then installed plain Ubuntu from the same daily-day and installed gnome-shell in it which worked excellent. Still running it fully updated with daily-kernel and with gnome3, gnome3-staging, gnome3-testing, xorg-edgers, pulseaudio-testing and alsa-testing - everything is smooth and works just fine
    Ubuntu Gnome 13.10 Asus P5Q-DeLuxe C2Q Q9450@3.2GHz 8GB Nvidia GTX650Ti 1GB Asus Xonar Essence ST Crucial M4 64GB(system) 3TB storage Corsair VX450 Xigmatek Asgard

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Chanath View Post
    I think I will do that myself. Did you get a working startup sound? It aggravates me unless I hear something when I login and I have spent too much time getting that to work without any success.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Cavsfan View Post
    I think I will do that myself. Did you get a working startup sound? It aggravates me unless I hear something when I login and I have spent too much time getting that to work without any success.
    you can get the old login music easily (thought they picked a new one, have never heard...

open up startup applications > add
    for command use
    Code:
    /usr/bin/canberra-gtk-play --id="desktop-login"
    Name it as you please
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post
    you can get the old login music easily (thought they picked a new one, have never heard...

open up startup applications > add
    for command use
    Code:
    /usr/bin/canberra-gtk-play --id="desktop-login"
    Name it as you please
    Thanks mc4man for that! I tried that a bunch of times on the new gnome edition and nothing would work. The desktop-login file did not exist so I copied it from Raring and it still did not work.
    I just installed the daily iso and have the sound back to working. But, that white on the middle of the top and bottom panels is back. I have gnome classic and gnome fallback.
    Gnome classic doesn't appear to work as the panels do not appear and cairo dock does not appear either, so I am using fallback. It works except for the white middle panels.

Beans

Here is the screenshot of the Gnome-classic-session.

Strange Gnome Classic mode.jpg

Notice the top panel is the same Gnome shell panel with additional Applications & Places. The bottom panel cannot be right clicked and autohidden.
    Last edited by Chanath; July 3rd, 2013 at 11:27 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I installed Ubuntu Gnome from the 7/1 daily build, and it worked perfectly from the get-go. Installing regular Ubuntu and then adding GS from the repos certainly works, but then you have all sorts of Unity cruft hanging around. I only want simple Gnome Shell, not Unity, Compiz, what have you.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast