Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Ubuntu Gnome edition

Chanath is offline Extra Foam Sugar Free Ubuntu
    Beans

Re: Ubuntu Gnome edition

VinDSL,

Your desktop looks very nice!
    I haven't upgraded to GS 3.9.3 yet. Does it have many extensions? How do you find it, better than GS 3.8.2?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Chanath View Post
    VinDSL,

Your desktop looks very nice!
    I haven't upgraded to GS 3.9.3 yet. Does it have many extensions? How do you find it, better than GS 3.8.2?
    Thanks!

There are usually quite a few extensions, included in the GS Staging package. Going to the official GNOME Shell Extensions web site will be of little help to you, unless you know how to hack json files and/or the author offers the source code, which you can compile yourself.

Personally, I don't run that many extensions. Matter of fact, I usually disable or remove them.

The only shell extensions I'm currently running are:
    • Dash to Dock
    • Icon Hider
    • User Themes
    • Workspace Indicator

Truthfully, I cannot remember how 3.8.2 performed. If you're happy with it, I'd stick with it.

GS3 Staging has/will break. It's in heavy development. Plus, it renders Unity unusable (at least, on this machine).

Having said that, GS 3.9.x just keeps getting better n' better, even though I can't quantify the differences...
    Intel ® P4 Extreme Edition 3.4 (Gallatin) || DFI ® LanParty PRO875B rev B1
    Crucial ® Ballistix Tracer PC4000 1GB || Mountain Mods U2-UFO Opti-1203
    XFX 7600GT 560M AGP (PV-T73A-UDF3) || Corsair HX520W Modular PSU

Beans

VinDSL,

Thanks for the reply. I installed GS 3.9.3, but didn't find any extensions, so I purged the ppas and got GS 3.8.2 back. The extensions I need are;
    1) Hide top bar,
    2) Task bar (not the one like Windows, but the one that works as a window list),
    3) Weather,
    4) Shutdown button,
    5) User Themes

Actually, more I use the GS, more I like it. Additionally, I can have either the Cairo Dock or the standalone DockbarX, but not a necessity. I don't know how to hack the json file. If you can, show me how to. Its quite interesting to have the Dash on the screen. How did you do that? I sometimes use the dock, which comes on the right side, but not a necessity, if I have the Task Bar on the top panel. I also used the idea from OMG Ubuntu to group the applications. http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2013/05/a...hell-dashboard

Regards!
    Chanath

Beans

VinDSL,

Thanks for the reply. I installed GS 3.9.3, but didn't find any extensions, so I purged the ppas and got GS 3.8.2 back. The extensions I need are;
    1) Hide top bar,
    2) Task bar (not the one like Windows, but the one that works as a window list),
    3) Weather,
    4) Shutdown button,
    5) User Themes

Actually, more I use the GS, more I like it. Additionally, I can have either the Cairo Dock or the standalone DockbarX, but not a necessity. I don't know how to hack the json file. If you can, show me how to. Its quite interesting to have the Dash on the screen. How did you do that? I sometimes use the dock, which comes on the right side, but not a necessity, if I have the Task Bar on the top panel. I also used the idea from OMG Ubuntu to group the applications. http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2013/05/a...hell-dashboard

Regards!
    Chanath

Ps: This has got posted twice. How do I delete it?
    Last edited by Chanath; July 10th, 2013 at 03:40 AM.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345